wilserbrewer BIAB bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow, I managed to strip the poly cord from the ratchet pulley last weekend. Is there an easy way to get it back in there correctly? I was in the middle of a brew session with 35+ lbs of hot wet grain to deal with, so I wasn't exactly prepared to handle it right then.

I have never reinstalled the rope in a ratchet pulley, looking at one, it appears it may be easiest to unscrew the 4 small screws and open the pulley case to feed the rope around the internal pulley.

Edit, I took one for the team and pulled the rope out of a pulley. I then cut the rope neat and slightly melted the end with a lighter to make it more sharp and pointed, a frayed end would never feed through. I was able to push feed it back into the pulley...It was a little tricky, I needed to use the point of a scissors to push / pull and coax it through, both from the bottom and side openings of the pulley to guide the rope around the sheave. Perhaps tweezers would have also helped. Of course you have to release the ratchet mechanism. A two minute job :) View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431643992.367495.jpg

Thanks wilserbrewer, I will give that a try this evening. The overall brew was kind of coming apart at the seams, so in the moment I didn't have time to sit and fiddle with it.

Thanks wilserbrewer, I will give that a try this evening. The overall brew was kind of coming apart at the seams, so in the moment I didn't have time to sit and fiddle with it.
Oooh, not a good choice of words when talking about brew in a bag! ;)

Sorry to hear the brew day went sideways.

Haha your bag definitely did not come apart at the seams. At the end of the day, beer was made, so no worries. Although, I think I might need a slightly smaller bag since it usually rubs the rim of the keggle when I pull it out. Not a huge deal, but it makes a little mess that I'd rather not have. I'll re measure and order one this weekend.

Just got my Grand Slam Package and everything looks great! Can't wait to try it out this Saturday. Thanks man!

I have sourced a variety of cord locks, the specific ones I'm using are only available bulk order. The most reasonable price I can find on the net for single purchase would be these for $0.79 each, shipped from Hong Kong....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-2-hol...t=LH_DefaultDomain_2&var=&hash=item566f638b22

Or from Amazon, $2.17 free ship
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PAEYFBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thank you!
wilser

Do the cords come with these cord locks? If not, any suggestions on the diameter of the rope that works with these?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I'm just missing something, but how do you connect the bag to the pulley carabiner to hang?

Other than that, the bag worked great today and washed off so much easier!

I'm sure I'm just missing something, but how do you connect the bag to the pulley carabiner to hang?

Other than that, the bag worked great today and washed off so much easier!

Bag hoisting can be done a few different ways depending on your taste. Easiest is just hooking to the drawstring, I prefer a short loop of cord used to cinch the bag as shown in the link below as it keeps the pulley low within hands reach....I also prefer pulley at the bag rather than at the ceiling.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=416419

Do the cords come with these cord locks? If not, any suggestions on the diameter of the rope that works with these?

All wilserbrewer bags come with a cord and a cord lock...if your DIY I would suggest 1/8" poly braid rope for a cord and a hearty strong cord lock.

Awesome thanks again! I'm using a custom brew stand I built and it works great to have the pulley ratchet at the top, I just needed a secure way to tie the bag onto the bottom.

View attachment 280182

Nice frame! I just go ghetto with a step ladder.

If you put the pulley on the bag, you cut your lift weight in half due to the mechanical advantage of a moving pulley. How you choose to do it is a matter of preference.

Brew on :mug:

received my new bag in the mail last week and it arrived intact. I noticed the bag has a finer mesh than the previous bags, or is it my imagination? Is the cord lock a success?

received my new bag in the mail last week and it arrived intact. I noticed the bag has a finer mesh than the previous bags, or is it my imagination? Is the cord lock a success?

Agreed. Still functional, but I worry about what happens during bittering and wort circulation...

I have two wilserbrewer Grand Slam sets - one for my keggle and one for small stove top batches. The stove top set is new - only used it twice. Both work great. I have a mini HERMS built off the $50 HERMS thread here on HBT for my small batches. Recirculation was slow in the first ten minutes of the mash, but fine after that. Got 75% efficiency on a barleywine batch, 80% on a smaller APA with a BIAB double grind setup. A lot of flour / powder and no rice hulls added. The mash and hop bags work well. Samples of both worts tasted wonderful.

The cord lock pulley is fantastic. I have it set up on my larger system, but not over the stove. I miss it when I do small batches. It makes working with and draining the bag so much simpler.

Here is a picture of my mini HERMS. The APA mash was done and boiling on the right while the barleywine was mashing:
NewMiniHERMs.jpg

Good Luck,
Cody

There has been no intentional change in the material. I compared some samples and find no appreciable difference. Perhaps there is some slight variation b/w manufacturing lots idk.

The cord locks work very well for securing the bag over the kettle rim, I used one for the first time yesterday, and was pleased. :)

Thanks!
Wilser

There has been no intentional change in the material. I compared some samples and find no appreciable difference. Perhaps there is some slight variation b/w manufacturing lots idk.

The cord locks work very well for securing the bag over the kettle rim, I used one for the first time yesterday, and was pleased. :)

Thanks!
Wilser

Yea, what I was comparing it to, were some hop socks from my LHBS

I used my bag for the first time today after ordering it around the first of the year and thought "Hmm, it would be nice if there were a cord lock here".

Good to know it works, I'll have to add one.

The bag and the pulley worked out quite well for me, I just wrapped the cord around the bag a few times, threw a hitch into it and hung it from the pulley.

I'm seriously considering getting this stuff! The coarse mesh nylon bag I have now is made to fit a 5 gallon kettle the size of a 5 gallon bucket! More than double the length I need, but could be wider to make getting it over the lip easier. The pulley assembly is definitely something I could use at my age. But I'm still on the stove, so I'd need a strongly mounted eye bolt to attach it to above the stove to use it. And nylon/voile dry hop socks would have to be easier to clean & sanitize than muslin.

Wilserbrewer, does the "Grand Slam" package include two hop bags and two hop socks, or one of each? Just wanted to confirm before I went ahead and purchased. Thanks a lot!

Wilserbrewer, does the "Grand Slam" package include two hop bags and two hop socks, or one of each? Just wanted to confirm before I went ahead and purchased. Thanks a lot!

Grand Slam 4 piece package deal includes a custom size BIAB Bag, Hop Boil Bag, Dry Hop Sock, and ratchet pulley. If you need something different, let me know....not a big deal.

For reference, I have tried 3 types of bags out there. Ordered the grand slam package about 2 weeks ago. Finally used my Wilser bag on Sunday. Best bag yet. Custom sizing and the drawstring are the major appeal to me. Love it. I'll be sticking with this one. Cheers!

Tried mine out for first time this past weekend brewing up Fresh Squeezed IPA clone, has anyone had issue with drainage off the outer side of the bag instead of more towards the middle? I hoisted mine up out of the 10gal kettle and as the bag cleared the rim, it immediately expanded out some and wort started draining down the outside of the kettle until I got the pulley to unlock and lowered it back w/in the rim of the kettle....i sent exact dimensions of it so not sure if this is expected or not.

Sorry to hear your struggling Ballsy. Please PM me your kettle and bag dimensions please and I will check the sizing.

From your description, I feel this issue is one of technique rather than bag sizing. You need to slowly lift the bag from the kettle allowing it to drain as you remove, being sure that the wort level remains below the kettle rim, then once you decide to complete the bag removal, it should be done swiftly, with no turning back. From your description, I feel you may have been a bit impatient removing the bag, and not allowing the bag to drain as it is slowly removed, but then when you tried to lower the bag back in the kettle may have worsened the situation.

If you have a larger grain bill, or your close to maxing your kettle, bag removal should be slow and easy, kinda like child birth or what got you there :)

If your wort level is close to the rim, the bag should be slowly ratcheted out if the kettle a few clicks at a go, then let drain. Might take 2-3 minutes but is nice and clean without spillage.

Sorry to hear your struggling Ballsy. Please PM me your kettle and bag dimensions please and I will check the sizing.

From your description, I feel this issue is one of technique rather than bag sizing. You need to slowly lift the bag from the kettle allowing it to drain as you remove, being sure that the wort level remains below the kettle rim, then once you decide to complete the bag removal, it should be done swiftly, with no turning back. From your description, I feel you may have been a bit impatient removing the bag, and not allowing the bag to drain as it is slowly removed, but then when you tried to lower the bag back in the kettle may have worsened the situation.

If you have a larger grain bill, or your close to maxing your kettle, bag removal should be slow and easy, kinda like child birth or what got you there :)

If your wort level is close to the rim, the bag should be slowly ratcheted out if the kettle a few clicks at a go, then let drain. Might take 2-3 minutes but is nice and clean without spillage.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I was thinking technique was the main culprit but wanted to be sure and see what others experience was. it was a 15lb grain bill in a 10gal pot w/ 5 gal mash so liquid level was nowhere near the top. I agree I think I pushed the baby out way too quick haha. Then again, I am a squeezer and never one to wait 30 min for spontaneous drainage! The other issue was, I had pulley on a A-frame ladder with pot on burner (about 1.5 feet above the ground) and ladder wasn't high enough to ratchet bag completely out, next time I will place pot on ground under the ladder and rachet up quicker once committed. What is easiest way to attach the bag to the carabiner? Only thing I could figure out was cinch the bag all the way and tie a knot in it near the mesh and sline the knot onto the carabiner but felt it was a little awkward...Thanks again!

What I do is lift up the bag quickly above the level of the pot and immediately slide a grill grate (pictured below) on the top of the pot and put the bag on it. I then twist the extra material at the top so that I have a nice round ball of grain. I think press down with the lid and everything drains into the pot below. Very rarely will it spill out the sides.
61IdK1coXbL._SL450_.jpg

Used the bag for the first time yesterday. I was really impressed with how sturdy it was. Being my first BIAB, my efficiency numbers were horrible, but that's due to my own incompetency, not the bag.

The bag worked perfect 2nd go around. Let drain a minute or two prior to hoisting up over the rim and continue to drain. Not a drop spilled! Thanks again @wilserbrewer!

View attachment 1436719161321.jpg

Just did my first brew with your bag, and it was awesome. 4 hour brew day from first heating the water up to done cleaning. Worth every penny!

Received my bag last week. Planned on brewing a batch this weekend but kettle did not arrived so it appears next weekend will be the ticket. Anxious to give it a try and utilizing the pulley.

For the folks that might not read through 28 pages of reviews, I'm here to say these bags (and customer service) are great. I am on brew 20 with my wilser bag. On brew 2, I didn't pay attention to my therm and snagged my bag as I hoisted my bag out of the wort. The next day I placed an order for a new bag and got an email asking why I needed another. I told wilser what I had done, and he replied that all I had to do was send in my bag back for a free repair. Well I wanted a second bag regardless, so I kept that order in place, but I sent in my regular bag for repair. Fast forward! I got a package in the mail of my repaired bag, a new bag, and another set of boiling/dry hop bags! I still have that 'new' bag waiting cuz my 1st/repaired bag is still kicking. Mike is a good guy and makes fantastic, long lasting, BIAB bags. Buy without hesitation!

Back