will this silicone tubing work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman

Reaction score
just found this online. seems like a good deal. but i'm a silicone newb and i dont want to throw money away.

any insight on this link?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23884&catid=799&clickid=popcorn

thanks in advance.

Silcon® Silicone Tubing
The most outstanding property of Silcon® is its resistance to temperature extremes. These, plus its good electrical properties coupled with the ability to self-extinguish, makes Silcon® an excellent choice for appliance and computer applications. Peroxide-cured Silcon® contains no sulphur or other acid-producing chemicals, thereby eliminating the possibility of staining, corroding, or deteriorating other materials it contacts. It is extremely resistant to ozone and U.V. over long time periods. Care is recommended in the selection of fittings and clamps for Silcon® as sharp barbs or unlined metal clamps could tear into the wall and possibly cause a failure. Silcon® is not recommended for implantable or in-body uses or for continuous steam applications. Silcon® may be low pressure steam sterilized in-line or autoclaved at up to 250°F in a normal autoclaving cycle. However, if exposed to repeated steam sterilization or long-term high temperature or pressure, silicone will eventually relax and become gummy. It should then be replaced. Translucent natural color for visual contact with the flow. Resilient, stretchable, and resistant to compression set. Odorless, tasteless, and inert. Good electrical and weatherability properties — resists U.V., ozone, gases, and moisture. Not for use with fuels. Listed by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF 51). Temperature range -100° F to 500° F. Meets FDA standards. Not for use with fuels. Silcon® is a registered trademark of NewAge® Industries. Standard length is 100’ except #54042 which is 50’. Tubing is priced per foot; sold in 10' intervals only.

Yep, that will work. I'd suggest the thick wall stuff so that it isn't as prone to kinking. The most commonly used size AFAIK is the 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD. As far as price goes, you can find better, but not by a whole lot. I bought some from Austin Homebrew (a vendor here) last year and they had good prices and shipping rates.

For the longest time, I had no luck finding 5/16" (the diameter of my autosiphon and bottling wand) silicone tubing in reasonable lengths. Then I found an outfit on eBay called New York Brew Supply that sells it by the foot, just search "silicone tubing." They sell all different diameters. I got what I needed easily, and it's reasonably priced (for silicone). It works like a dream, the only issue with this silicone being that it has a greater propensity to kink than the plastic.....but not a big deal.

Yeah jman, that is the right stuff. Like JuanMoore said though, it is a tad high there. You can get it from Derrin at Brewer's Hardware for $2.10/ft. Plus, Derrin carries a lot of other cool stuff and is a supporting vendor here on HBT.

Back