Will this pot work for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigGMcB

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am very very new to homebrewing and have just ordered my beer kit. I want to dive straight into BIAB and need to be sure I buy the right boiler pot. I am from South Africa and it seems that getting hold of a decent pot for cheap is not really possible. I want to brew at least 5 gallons of BIAB and understand that i'll need at least a 10 gallon pot for this.

Now my real question is, will attached picture of a 10 gallon pot be sufficient? My concern is really that the pot is not high enough, and is too wide for a single burner. The "turkey fryer" or as it is known in South African, "stock pot", sells for at least double the price as what you can get the attached pot for.

The dimensions of the pot is 49cm (L) x 48cm (W) x 27cm (H).

I can also get a 13.2 gallon version of it for slightly more...with the dimensions 48cm (L) x 48cm (W) x 30cm (H).

I am trying to really keep my costs down as I have not even started my first batch, but at the same time don't want to waste money if I am just going to end up buying a proper boiler pot.

You help is really appreciated guys!

Regards
Grant

hendler-hart-36l-aluminum-stewpan-34240EA

36litre stew pot.JPG

Many threads about this. I'm not into metric so all I'll say is if you have a pot that will hold enough water plus grains you are fine, as for the bag if you can't find a bag make one to fit the kettle. After mash, sparuge to pre-boil level and you are set. Continue to scan threads to see how BIAB is done with small kettles and improve your knowledge base before brewing. The last thing you want to do is have very poor results and give up before you get a good beer to enjoy. :mug:

I couldn't see your link, but generally the bigger the pot the better for BIAB. I would opt for the 13.2 gallon pot as you will be able to mash higher grain bills.

For boiling, the thicker the bottom is, the less chance you'll have scorching. Something else to consider as you compare pots.

I don't see the link either, but if the height is half of the width, that doesn't sound like a good brew kettle. I'd recommend something taller than it is wide (or at least 1:1) ratio.

As for a 10 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches, it will work for most sub 1.070ish beers. If you brew a lot of imperial stouts, barleywines, etc. get the bigger version.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think i'll feel better if I just buy the taller pot. I'll just have to lie to the wife about the price :)

I am looking at the PAS0050 Stock Pot, which seems to be the general one sold here in South Africa. What you guys think of that one? It's 400mm x 400m so a ratio of 1:1.

^^^ looks good to me. I use a 15"x15" AL pot for BIAB and it works just fine. Drill a hole for a weldless valve and have wilserbrewer or someone make a well fitting bag and you are all set.

For BIAB I think you might have trouble submerging all of the grains in a pot like that. It looks like the water will be too shallow since the diameter is so large.

For BIAB I think you might have trouble submerging all of the grains in a pot like that. It looks like the water will be too shallow since the diameter is so large.

Shouldn't be a problem covering the grains in water with a shallow wide pot as opposed to a narrow tall pot. If the VOLUMES are the same. For an extreme example if you have a 10"Wx20"T pot your 200 volume is the same if you had a 20"Wx10"T one..You would just spend more effort spreading out the grains a bit. :)

Shouldn't be a problem covering the grains in water with a shallow wide pot as opposed to a narrow tall pot. If the VOLUMES are the same. For an extreme example if you have a 10"Wx20"T pot your 200 volume is the same if you had a 20"Wx10"T one..You would just spend more effort spreading out the grains a bit. :)

True. When I do BIAB I use a standard paint strainer bag which is too small to cover the whole bottom of the pot. If you have a larger bag then it shouldn't be a problem

Large diameter pot like that is going to increase your surface area therefore your boil off rate. Taller and narrower would be better.

My 5 gallon pot is 11.5 inches (29.2 cm) and i boil off about 1.2 gallons (4.26 liters) per hour.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited:
Large diameter pot like that is going to increase your surface area therefore your boil off rate. Taller and narrower would be better.

Yes that is true..Didn't mention it(as to be honest, I didn't think of it at the time)..Was just pointing out volume vs volume being the same and ability to still cover the grains with water..But, yes, I will agree taller and narrower is better to help control boil off..But, in reality, if you boil off a little more then you desire or need, couldn't you just 'top off' with clean water?

Additional point: I've heard other folks on HBT aren't big fans of pots with riveted handles, and suggest ones with welded handles. Something about the rivets usually being aluminum (or aluminium, if you will), and they end up corroding in the acidic wort?

Additional point: I've heard other folks on HBT aren't big fans of pots with riveted handles, and suggest ones with welded handles. Something about the rivets usually being aluminum (or aluminium, if you will), and they end up corroding in the acidic wort?

They also make great hideaways for wayward gunk critters to hide and contaminate your wort. ;)

Back