Will this keg work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it works it should work! There are several other pieces that you would need to make it fully functional but it looks like it would work.

Yeah...sounds like a good price for it. Just understand you will need some other items to make it actually work. Pressure tank, regulater, hoses, valves...but it would be a good start!

Realize that has a sanke tap setup, not a corney lid set up. So its going to be a bit more complicated for your kegging purposes.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Concerning the additional equipment needed to get this up and running, what kind of budget would I need, approximately?

If I went with a corney lid setup instead (either waiting for one to pop up here or 2 hours away in dallas or online), would that ultimately be cheaper and more user friendly?

IMO ...the Corny keg system is probally your best best as far as being user friendly.

+1 corny kegs are the standard. The removable lid makes cleaning easy.

How do you remove the valve on those sanke kegs to clean and fill them?

I prefer cornies for one main reason - you can take out the manhole cover and see inside and scrub inside. Nothing can hide in them if you do a complete disassembly for inspection and cleaning then sanitizing. Used cornie kegs go from 30$ to 40$ in my area. The rest of the set up includes a CO2 tank, regulator, gas and liquid lines and fittings for the cornie disconnects, and a tap. Then you need a fridge or freezer with external thermostat to maintain the right temp for the beer.

Of course you need all the extras if you go with Sanke keg route. Also, as you get more into brewing you will want more kegs, and the one like you found will be harder to find on a routine basis, so you will probably end up switching to cornies. So start that way now, and save time and money in the long run.

as has been said corny (pepsi/coke kegs) are easier for home use. and the kegs used generally only go for $30-40 in the US (morebeer.com, kegconnection.com, ect.), which is really one of the least expensive parts of the setup. for a keg setup you will also need a fridge, which you can find old ones for free if you have the space, or you could spend hundred dressing up a fancy kegerator. And a co2 system $100+ for tank, regulator and lines, this is the biggest cost of a budget system, can be tough to find used, and is required for your beer to last more than a few hours.

overall you can put together a basic system for $150-200 with out to much trouble, if you do a bit a scrounging. but i would not plan on anything much less than that, unless you get lucky.

now if you want a party keg, that one on craigslist would be great with a hand tap and bucket of ice for a few hours. you could carb with sugar just like in bottles and take it with you. but a hand tap makes beer oxidize pretty quick.

OKAYYYY...that settles it. Being able to clean easier pretty much makes my decision for me.

Thanks again for the feedback.

:runs to check ebay and craigslist for corny kegs:

just get them from northern brewer or ahs. they will hook you up and they are reputible sources for sure. you really should get two to start with at 35 a piece, a 5 lb co2 tank ~$70, basic regulator ~$50, in and out ball lock fittings @ ~$7 * 2, Hose and misc mfl connections ~$20, co2 fill ~$10

lets figure 35 + 35 + 70+ 50+ 7 +7 +20+ 10 = 234 .... and you need a fidge also.

I'm sure you can get stuff cheaper, I did. but it is a pretty good ballpark.

You'd really spend the same gettin stuff for that 1/6th barrel sankey.

Back