Will the shake method of force carbing affect head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soldevi

Reaction score
I have an ipa that I want to tap this weekend. Have any of you shakers noticed a reduction in your beers head from this way of force carbing?

No, but I had one cloud up and it never would clear. I no longer bother with the shake method.

If you need/want it fast, chill it to 38*F, hit it with 30psi for 24 hours, 20psi another 24 hours then vent and drop to serving pressure.

There's some people who swear that it does affect head retention and lacing, but I just don't believe that. I've done it both ways since around 1996 - and have never noticed a difference.

One thing I should note about "shake carbing", is that Gordon Strong shake-carbs his beers. I think the highest ranking BJCP judge and 3-time Ninkasi award winner wouldn't do it if it had negative effects on his beer.

The best method I've found in my very short time kegging is crash cooling without shaking, pulling the first pint to get the sediment out that has fallen, and then shaking. Reduces the amount of sediment to get back into the beer, at least slightly.

The best method I've found in my very short time kegging is crash cooling without shaking, pulling the first pint to get the sediment out that has fallen, and then shaking. Reduces the amount of sediment to get back into the beer, at least slightly.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. What I like to do is to cold crash in the carboy for a few days, then transfer to a keg and immediately shake carb it. This way, the beer/sediment is mixed up anyway from the transfer, and I just get it over with.

I typically dry hop in a keg, so by shaking it I can get the hops soaked, then I let it sit at room temp and it's fully carbed and ready to go whenever I decide to cool it down.

I like to set the regulator at 12psi (or whatever is necessary for the co2 volume I'm looking for), then lay the keg down on it's side (gas inlet up), and gently roll it back and forth. Once the regulator stops filling, it's carbed perfectly and exactly where I want. Laying it down exposes more surface area and makes it easier.

I like to set the regulator at 12psi (or whatever is necessary for the co2 volume I'm looking for), then lay the keg down on it's side (gas inlet up), and gently roll it back and forth. Once the regulator stops filling, it's carbed perfectly and exactly where I want. Laying it down exposes more surface area and makes it easier.
This is similar to what I do except, Knowing the temp. of the beer (cold crashed or not) and the volumes of Co2 needed at that temp. I'll put 30 LBS. on it and shake or roll for 10-15 mins. Then I'll shut off the valve for the Co2 tank and continue to shake. First the high pressure gauge will drop off, then the low pressure gauge will drop and settle to the annount of Co2 in the beer. I would keep doing this, only shorter 30lb. intervals until the low pressure gauge stopped at desired pressure.
I never thought, once I got close to the desired pressure, to re set regulator to the lower pressure and finish it off that way. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is cold crashing in the primary since Wednesday at 34f. I will rack to the keg tomorrow night and try the roll it softly method.

I know anytime you disturb a protein there always is the possibility that this can denature it, and maybe can affect head retention?

I've done shaking and never noticed a difference in head, but maybe there could be a slight difference?

In the end I doubt there is anything of significance in shaking vs. not.

Latest posts

Back