Will pouring from bottle to growler cause problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
I've got 5 large bottles of beer. There's a party tomorrow and, for nothing more than vanity's sake, I'd like to arrive with a growler.

Will pouring from bottle to growler cause the beer to either lose carbonation or oxidate?

Will pouring from bottle to growler cause the beer to either lose carbonation or oxidate?

You'll definitely lose some carbonation, yes, but you can minimize oxidation by filling the growler right to the brim, to the point where the foam is actually overflowing a little bit, then screw the cap on quickly, on top of the foam. The foam inside the growler will then dissipate, leaving nothing but CO2 in the headspace.

I've never done this before but from what I've read chilling both the beer and the growler before hand will help a little with preserving carbonation especially using a slow clean pour from the bottle to growler.

Chill, "lube" the inside just a little with starsan or beer, pour slowly, and stop after a little head pokes out the top :eek: Thats how I fill with my picnic tap and it works fine for traveling.

Dude....No, just don't

Start kegging if you want the vanity of bringing beer in a growler.

Better yet, spend time effort and energy becoming a better brewer because I wouldn't care what the beer came to my house enclosed within if it was delicious.

Oxidation wouldn't be much of a problem over a day or so. You will lose a noticeable amount of carbonation.

I've got 5 large bottles of beer. There's a party tomorrow and, for nothing more than vanity's sake, I'd like to arrive with a growler.

Im assuming you want to pour 5 22oz bottles into a 64oz growler?

Don't, go with the bottles and serve 1 at a time.

There are countless craft brew vendors and retailers that serve growlers right from the keg for travel. As common as buying a 6-pack. It will be fine - no special effort needed.

I prefer to bring my beer in grails.

Holy-Grail2-e1400083695722.jpeg

Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-4972400-845-468.jpg

There are countless craft brew vendors and retailers that serve growlers right from the keg for travel. As common as buying a 6-pack. It will be fine - no special effort needed.

of course, but they are not pouring from bottles.

I'd leave the beer in the bottles. pouring into a growler will do nothing good for it.

I've never done this before but from what I've read chilling both the beer and the growler before hand will help a little with preserving carbonation especially using a slow clean pour from the bottle to growler.

This.

The vanity part is pretty redicous though. "Here's some potentially stale beer that I poured in here instead of bringing you bottles." Honestly can't think of a situation where that makes sense but I'd be interested to hear it.

This.

The vanity part is pretty redicous though. "Here's some potentially stale beer that I poured in here instead of bringing you bottles." Honestly can't think of a situation where that makes sense but I'd be interested to hear it.

I have had a lot of growler beers. Never stale and always carb'd well even after two days. You should be ashamed of yourself for not growling from your local craft brewry. I am surprised that you guys never have done the growlers.

I've had plenty of "growlers from my local breweries". That's not what the OP is doing. He is transferring from bottle to growler.

I've had plenty of "growlers from my local breweries". That's not what the OP is doing. He is transferring from bottle to growler.

Which is the exact same as a tap pull into a growler. Maybe he's got a badarse growler and wants to flaunt it in front of his beer sniffing fussy friends.

Back