Will it grow? What's your opinion...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbrian

Reaction score
First attempt at growing hops by rhizomes.
Hearty varieties selected: Cascade, Centen, ___ , Willam
Grow site in Deep South at GA/FL border.
South facing location at rear of house but under a mature oak tree.

In case the site is not proper, I plan to plant each variety in its own 55 gal plastic drum (split in 2 from top to bottom) just in case another grow site is needed.

Temp & sun are our worst enemies here. Harvest season can be 100+ degrees F & it may be 99% humidity w/o rain (not joking!).

I am mostly worried about the site. For those of you who are seasoned growers, what's your opinion? Cheers!

All the "c's" should grow there fine, just make sure the soil stays damp not overly wet and I would hit them with neem oil once and a while to help with mildew.

I grew cascade in Little Rock Arkansas, direct sun light for half the day maybe more, my cones always burned, I never got a good harvest. But I am not gardener either.

Didn't work for me in either Kansas or Arkansas. Too hot, dry (KS), or humid (AR). Not to say it won't work, but there's probably a reason it's not a cash crop in the South.

Just give it a try and see what happens. I grew Cascade successfully in Southern California last year in full sun for 1/2 the day, filtered sun the other 1/2. We have a lot of heat with many 100+ days but not much humidity which is different from what you have in the south. I would try to grow them in the ground if possible. Regulating water in a container can be a challenge and it's easy to dig up the whole plant or a piece of the rhizome and replant if you want to move it.

Back