Will filling bottles from keg = bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LamIAm

Reaction score
My cider is almost ready for kegging. I am crashing it right now as it is super cold outside.

I wasn't planning on adding any potassium sorbate or campden as my wife wants a "natural" cider. Once the crash is finished, I was going to rack and back sweeten.

My question/concern is with bottling. This is going into my keg and will be served from there. However, if I wanted to give some out as a gift and was going to fill bottles/growlers from the keg. Do I need to worry about bottle bombs if the cider warms back up to room temp?

If there is no additional fermentation, you shouldn't have an issue unless your carbonation level is incredibly high.

Where you might have a problem is if warmed bottles added sweetener snd traces of yeast start fermenting again, since that will create additional co2. Its one of the problems with natural. The additives normally prevent fermentation from restarting.
This can, and does, happen while cold too, but at a much extended timeframe, and in a keg, it should still be higher rated and have pressure relief.

I wouldn't trust letting cider that has been backsweetened to warm up in a growler. Growlers are made for transport and if it starts to carbonate more than what you force carb'd with...I'm thinking...boom. In a keg, the little extra pressure won't be bad and you can always "burp" it if need be. (I guess you could have people burp the growler also, but it will lose carbonation)

Even if they kept it in the fridge, I'd still recommend having them consume it within a couple of days just in case.

I'm thinking you are going to have to sorbate to keep it 100% boom proof.

Could I rack into my keg today (or tomorrow), start carbing it, than add the sorbate later when I have time to get it from LHBS?

Back