Will an overboil affect my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldubya

Reaction score
After pouring the DME in the pot over boiled and i lost about a cup or two of foamy liquid. Will this affect the outcome in any way? I would imagine that less fermentable could dull the flavor or cause the beer to have a lower ABV?

the potential is there, but you're talking about 2 cups out of 5 gallons. 5 gallons is 80 cups, so you've potentially lost 2.5% of your volume. But you did say that was foamy, so mostly air. I think you can assume the amount of liquid you lost was closer to 1/4 cups, or less than 1% of the total. not a significant enough factor.
RDWHAHB

I had a pretty severe boilover on my second batch of beer. First time using an outdoor propane flame (turkey fryer). Wasn't paying attention to the boil. I also had the burner set to Mach2 and it was roaring like a jet engine. :D

It was an Amber Ale that turned out awesome... even though the boil over was pretty bad.

Gary

A spray bottle of water will help keep the foamy hot break down. Misting the hot break will break up the bubbles comprising the foam.

Good idea, need to have one ready cause bout to start doing full boil in a 7.5 gal pot so might push the limit.

Back