Will adding Cane sugar cause bottle to explode?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I Just bottled a 5 gallon batch of blonde ale. I added cinnamon and a 1/4 cup of cane sugar during the boiling process. I used 3 lbs of dry malt extract and a 6 lb jar of LME. I allowed it to ferment for 2 weeks. I used 4oz of priming sugar for bottling.

My question; does adding extra sugar create a potential for exploding bottles? I figure a small amount like this won't matter but, if I were to add a pound or more will I have beeroshima?

If you added the sugar during the boil, it will have been fermented out by the time you're bottling. In fact, that's why you need priming sugar -- you wait until everything that can be eaten by the yeast has been, then you add a controlled amount of sugar to give them one last meal inside your bottles, resulting in carbonation.

If you boiled your sugar before priming you should be fine. I believe the "table sugar = exploding bottles" stems from the fact that bacterial infections can also be a source of exploding bottles since bacteria is able to break down sugars that the yeast are unable to. At one time it wasn't uncommon for people to prime their bottles with straight sugar but now most people know better.

Anyways I'm not sure how many bacteria are actually able to live in table sugar but boiling it with a small amount of water (~2 cups) to sterilize everything is definitely best practice.

Papazian also suggests that white table sugar sugar lends to a more cidery character compared to corn sugar. I've never used white table sugar in my beer but I've used dextrose to boost the gravity with good results. As long as less than 20% of your fermentables (~15% if you are using LME) are sugar I imagine you will be fine and have a good results.

Cheers :mug:

Bacterial infection causing bottle bombs. Thats the first Ive ever heard of that or table sugar causing exploding bottles. I can definetely imagine thats possible with an infected brew.

All my sugars are added post boil or just enough heat to make it dissolve. not once have I boiled it longer for the purpose of sterilization and not once have I had an infected brew. Generally I stick to 1oz / gallon for priming regardless of what sugar is on hand at the time.Used them all with safe results.

I have noticed occasionally some brews have way more carbonation than others. Id always attributed it to head retention from wheat or rice in the malt I use sometimes. Damn now you got me thinking.

regardless Ive never once made a bottle bomb with 1oz / gallon as my standard priming amount or infected a brew.

Back