Wild Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
My latest APA did not turn out great so I emailed my local microbrewery to see if they would be willing to test it out. He didn't have to but the guy who owned the place was more than willing to. I brought in a bottle and after tasting, testing, etc., he determined that my ale has a wild yeast.

The bad part is that he thinks the beer will actually get worse over time. He had a good suggestion-get another commercial ale and do a half and half to help with the after-taste.

Definitely bummed that $40 down the drain and I have to power through 40 beers and wait 6 weeks until my ESB is done.

I want to plug the guy who helped me out, thanks Danno!

www.santamariabrew.com

Interesting....the natural next question is did you provide the conditions for wild yeast to infest your beer and what needs to change in your equipment/sanitization/process to prevent future instances.

brewt00l said:
Interesting....the natural next question is did you provide the conditions for wild yeast to infest your beer and what needs to change in your equipment/sanitization/process to prevent future instances.

I tried some new things (straining my wort when pouring into primary, used ice block of purified water) and I pitched the yeast at a very low temp. causing an almost 36 hour lag time.

Hardball said:
I tried some new things (straining my wort when pouring into primary, used ice block of purified water) and I pitched the yeast at a very low temp. causing an almost 36 hour lag time.

from my limited knowledge, none of those sound like viable suspects leading to a wild yeast infection...'cept maybe if you left the primary open/exposed for that 36 hours?

Back