Wild still off gassing after 4 months!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Made a batch of Peach with some Banana over 4 months ago, transferred once every 30 days. This, after it started in a well stirred bucket for about 9 days and measured 10.00 there abouts give or take a slash for calibration upon it's first run in the carboy/ gallon jug. Here it is almost 5 months down the road and when I jiggle the carboy, I see fizz!
So I just added some K-Sorbate to make sure the yeast is dead, however after almost 5 months and starting in the carboy at 1000, you'd think the yeast would be done....

I've read about Sparkling wine and why's, but there was no large re add (persey) on a top up other than a couple oz's of that 1000 SG it started with or using a like wine and even some R.O H20... So secondary fermentation is a real stretch. So not a lot of sugar on top up to last a week, let alone a month. Wild, I could measure and waste 7oz of wine to do so and prob read a 990 but still with fizz.
No cork to blame for being 'off' or turned, just the airlock and StarSan. Tastes outstanding without even being aged BTW. Like a high dollar Chardonnay/ Fresh Georgia peaches no skin and Banana no skin (boiled the banana) Needs about 2 Tbsp per Gal of sugar on the Back sweet, hence the K sorbate. Let it set overnight with the K meta and will backsweeten and 2Na+ (Na2S2O5) and bottle tomorrow..

If kept cool, even with racking and stirring, it can remain carbonated/petillant for months on end. From my experience and reading, it’s almost futile to try to degas when it’s below room temp.

Also: MLF can produce CO2, so that may have been going on if you didn't sulfite and it had any of the bacteria.

Room Temp is 78ºf to start July now 68 being December...

Yes to 2Na+ at start and again at 60 days... and now or tomorrow again for bottling being another 60 days.... Not sure if Peaches have a lot of Malic acid. but I did use a blend of of acid 45-45-10. 45 being a Malic 1/2tsp to 1.5 gallon(s)...
Good Point, RPH I think I may have hastily added K Sorbate too soon, this read Only stated after MLF is completed not signs.... Not sure if I was to wait till all bubbles are gone? I did notice the Co2 over 10 days ago.... I'll check for odors tomorrow and 2Na+ it after back sweeten and aerate it and bottle....Prob why I thought of Chardonnay as it is the characteristics of MLF
That article for those coming across this post
https://eckraus.com/wine-making-malolactic-fermentation/

Good points to the both of you. Thanks

Last edited:
Back