Wild black raspberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beatty Brewer

Reaction score
Here in SW PA the wild black raspberries are getting ripe and I picked about a pound and a half. I was thinking of adding them to about a gallon of the stout that I brewed last week in a seccondary fermenter. I don't have any experience with fresh fruit and I am worried about contamination. What is the best way to process the berries to limit infections? Pectin haze is no problem in a stout but will heating affect the flavor? Any other fresh fruit tips would be helpful because I saw lots of black berries that should be ripe soon and I will make a wheat based beer if this goes well.

I freeze blackberries as I pick them. They get pasteurized at 160F for 15 minutes before use.

Wow, just getting ripe? Mine are all tapped out...nothing more to pick. Probably got a couple of lbs. I just didn't weigh them. ;)

Strawberries were done picking a couple of weeks ago. We got over 20 lbs this year.

Green beans are coming in. Had some last night.

Lettuce and radishes are doing well.

Tomatoes are growing and blooming. Not many potatos though.

Cukes are blooming and spreading.

Carrots and beets are on their way.

Onions are still being picked as well as a couple of peppers...more to come.

Peas and beets are coming along nicely...

Sweet Corn (on the cob) are always FREE from one of our neighbors and the son-in-laws parents...should be coming soon... :D

We'll have lots of canning to do this year...I'll have to empty out a few more shelves.

Latest posts

Back