Wide Variety of Hops - Recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingChip

Reaction score
My brother gave me 5 random 1 ounce packets of cheap hops from the homebrew store - Australian Helga, Australian Sylva, German Select, German Herkules, and Summit.

I have no idea what to brew and would appreciate some guidance on what I could make with any combination of these. I am open to try any recipe and style and would be looking for a BIAB recipe up to 3-4 gallons because that’s all my pot can hold.

Thanks!

A simple Blonde/Golden ale or a Pils-style beer.

Use a bit of Herkules for bittering and late additions/WHP with Helga, Sylva and Select.

My brother gave me 5 random 1 ounce packets of cheap hops from the homebrew store - Australian Helga, Australian Sylva, German Select, German Herkules, and Summit.

I have no idea what to brew and would appreciate some guidance on what I could make with any combination of these. I am open to try any recipe and style and would be looking for a BIAB recipe up to 3-4 gallons because that’s all my pot can hold.

Thanks!
I cant help with anything but the german herkules...I have some and I like it .
http://www.hopslist.com/hops/dual-purpose-hops/herkules/

Summit would be excellent for bittering as it's very clean. The Aussie hops should be good late/flameout/whirlpool additions.

I love them so I can recommend British or American PA or IPA. For the record I have never used anything on your list except Summit.

Is there a way I could possibly use all five of them in the same recipe? I am trying to be as resourceful. Would I be able to make a halfway decent IPA with them?

I would bitter with Summit at around the 45-30 min mark. then look up the flavors of the other hops to get the flavor combo I want and put them in at flameout for a 10 min whirlpool that ends at around 170-180* then add the rest(call it +10 min addition) with a 30 min whirlpool. Play with the aau's in the summit to get the IBU you want as far as timing goes.
Now for your other issue(4 gal) if you have the fermenter capacity to do 5 gal ,with BIAB and squeezing you could make a wort with a SG of say 1.070-1.110 and top up to 5 gal.

I would bitter with Summit at around the 45-30 min mark. then look up the flavors of the other hops to get the flavor combo I want and put them in at flameout for a 10 min whirlpool that ends at around 170-180* then add the rest(call it +10 min addition) with a 30 min whirlpool. Play with the aau's in the summit to get the IBU you want as far as timing goes.
Now for your other issue(4 gal) if you have the fermenter capacity to do 5 gal ,with BIAB and squeezing you could make a wort with a SG of say 1.070-1.110 and top up to 5 gal.

I have a pot that can hold 7.5 gallons and a standard 6.5 gallon bucket. It’s just that I can’t hold more than 6.5 gallons of water including the grains during the mash.

I would love to be able to only use those five kinds of hops that I listed but I would be willing to buy an ounce or two of other hops if need be.

I would prefer to make a kitchen sink IPA with those hops. I would just love to have a recipe that someone could throw together for me with the above hops since I am still pretty new to this homebrewing shenanigans.

Back