Why would some of my beers be "fizzy"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
same batch
all bottled at the same time
bottled conditioned for four weeks
started drinking them last week
so far 2 of 15 (o I didn't drink them all alone) were gushers when I opened them...I can't understand why this would only happen to a few beers and i don't know how many more are affected.
It's a belgian pal ale around 5.2%

This stuff prevents me from confidently sharing my beers with friends....

thanks in advance for any help.

I have this problem every 2 or 3 batches - I''ll have 2 or 3 gushers. Not sure what it is either. all taste good but WHOOSH!!!

Just explain to people the possibility and then say it's the result of having to brew at home and it's FREE!!

Could be bottle sanitation, could be random yeasty bug floating in could be sugar not mixing correctly. many things.

As long as it still tastes good - just warn people.

that doesn't sound right, even if they're way overcarbed they shouldn't gush like that *unless* they're shaken up. make sure they sit a couple days in the fridge also to dissolve all that c02.
however, inconsistent carbonation is another issue entirely...

I used to have inconsistent priming all the time when I bottled (I keg now). I was just too lazy to be bothered to boil and dissolve my priming sugar properly, I just sprinkled it in and let the racking do the mixing.

also, the consistency of your headspace can affect it.

Back