Why the heck are there so many lurkers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerMcAllen

Reaction score
So I was perusing the contest thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/cr...away-fermenter-mash-paddles-thermapen-206230/) and saw a bunch of entries with only 1 or maybe 2 posts. I was imaging how angry I would be if some person that had just joined the forum won the conical and then just disappeared, but then I noticed something that really confused me. Most of the entries with only 1 post aren't new accounts at all, but people that have been lurking for 1-3 years. What's up with that?

I'm kinda new but I don't post all that much. Basically I'm just taking in a ton of new information rather than doling it out.

So I was perusing the contest thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/cr...away-fermenter-mash-paddles-thermapen-206230/) and saw a bunch of entries with only 1 or maybe 2 posts. I was imaging how angry I would be if some person that had just joined the forum won the conical and then just disappeared, but then I noticed something that really confused me. Most of the entries with only 1 post aren't new accounts at all, but people that have been lurking for 1-3 years. What's up with that?

Maybe they are like the people who call radio stations and say "Long time listener first time caller". Forums aren't for everyone and maybe some people just use this forum for the recipes or other information.

Judging by what came into my inbox, I think contest was promoted quite a bit among all registered users, active or not.

Have you ever sat around a campfire with about a dozen people? There's always about two or three people who keep the conversation going at all times. Most of the people share their stories as they see fit, and then there are about two to three people who are content to just sit there and listen to what everyone else is saying. And when it's all done, everyone says it was a great time.

Same thing. Not everyone sees the need to talk all the time.

Have you ever sat around a campfire with about a dozen people? There's always about two or three people who keep the conversation going at all times. Most of the people share their stories as they see fit, and then there are about two to three people who are content to just sit there and listen to what everyone else is saying. And when it's all done, everyone says it was a great time.

Same thing. Not everyone sees the need to talk all the time.

QFT.

I do not yet have the required knowledge to chip in to the brewing forums and I can only do so much bs'ing in this forum. :p

Long time lurker, second time poster here. :D

Some of us are sponges, too busy soaking up information to post. But one day, we will have the knowledge to add something useful to a thread.

I lurked for months and researched all I could before I felt the need to contribute.

Online forums are not for everyone.
I know that I registered a userid at Cityprofile but I just never got around to posting the required entries. Why? Because I already participate in 3 other online forums (HBT included) as well as FB, and a blog site. I just don't have the time to keep up with it all.

So maybe HBT is a casual read for some folks who just want to be able to find what they're looking for and be on their way. :)

Just remeber to be a true post whore and run your numbers up all you have to do is put + 1.

So............

+ 1

;)

Eastside

It's because the lurkers actually know how to use the search button, instead of asking the same questions over and over.

I will add that the search function at HBT works better than any other forum I am a member of.

It's because the lurkers actually know how to use the search button, instead of asking the same questions over and over.

This is exactly what it was for me. I only recently started posting because there are either a few specific questions I didn't find answers for or because I finally have something to contribute. For the most part, however, if something comes to mind that I'm curious about, I just do a search and end up finding many, many answers. So, thanks everyone for answering my questions before I've had to ask them! ;)

This is exactly what it was for me. I only recently started posting because there are either a few specific questions I didn't find answers for or because I finally have something to contribute. For the most part, however, if something comes to mind that I'm curious about, I just do a search and end up finding many, many answers. So, thanks everyone for answering my questions before I've had to ask them! ;)

I'm bad about searching for one question, finding a few related questions, which causes me to have other questions, and before its all said and done, I have 20 or so tabs open without a clue where I started! :drunk:

Some of us anyway.

Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Back