Why is there no craft beer filled in a screw top aluminum can?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oji0121

Reaction score
I heard that aluminum cans have excellent characteristics, but they have a large diameter and are easily oxidized during filling.

Therefore, I think that a screw-top aluminum bottle has a small diameter and is hard to oxidize, but I have never seen such a craft beer.
I've seen Budweiser.

Why are there so few craft beers filled in screw top aluminum bottles?

Is there any quality or technical issue?

I've noticed Miller light screw top bottles only come in a 24 pack box and ABInBev products come in 12 pack boxes, maybe craft brewers just don't want to sell their product in that format. The whole craft beer industry is based on the idea of making their product seem more valuable than it really is. So screw top bottles might be viewed in a negative light since relatively cheap beer like Miller/Coors light are using them.

abinbev is miller coors....last i heard...they be "mac in the ba bev"...lol

MillerCoors was spun out of ABInBev when they merged with SABMiller, and took all of the Miller brands with them. MillerCoors is now a part of Molson Coors.

Highly confusing if you ask me, especially for such similarly tasting light lagers...

My guess is those cans are more expensive and require filling lines that aren’t available off-the-shelf.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of screw top 16 ounce Coors light cans once. After polishing off the beer, I kept the cans and used them for a batch of home-brew. The cans worked great for taking beer on the go without worrying about your glass bottles. Easy to move without concerning breakage, they can handle the abuse.

From what I understand, there is currently a nationwide shortage of aluminum cans everywhere. A perfect storm of more breweries switching to cans over bottles, affordable canning machines that every micro brewpub can afford, the rise of hard seltzer which is everwhere and all cans, and even wineries are canning now.

Even canned cat food has been getting hard to find.

I bought a bunch of screw top 16 ounce Coors light cans once. After polishing off the beer, I kept the cans and used them for a batch of home-brew. The cans worked great for taking beer on the go without worrying about your glass bottles. Easy to move without concerning breakage, they can handle the abuse.
I wondered if they would hold pressure when refilled. Good to know. They would be great for giving brew away and not expecting the bottle back.

Thank you for your reply.
Based on those, I investigated again.

Screw top aluminum bottles were about twice as expensive as aluminum cans.
It's just the range I investigated.

High priced bottle.
It costs a lot to introduce new equipment.
I think the reason why screw tops are not popular is cost.

On the contrary, the fact that major companies have introduced it despite the high cost is considered to have good performance and quality.

Thanks to everyone, my question has been resolved.
Thank you.

Back