Why is getting rhizomes like pulling teeth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesooohoppy

Reaction score
Some quick info about my rhizomes: I have 5 different variety rhizomes that are in their second year. I have 5 more on order for this year.

I understand people are busy, there is a growing demand for rhizomes, etc but why is it so flipping hard for me to get concrete dates for when my stuff is going to be available to me?!

Last year, my first year growing em, I ordered some online from a very popular online site to get rhizomes, from OR (im sure you can figure it out). I believe I received them around mid april, although was told early to mid march. I called 3-4 times and every time the producers didn't have any info other than 'give it another week and call us back'. By the time my hops finally got shipped, the lady damn near had my phone number memorized because she knew I would call every week (persistence pays off, I suppose).

Flash forward to current day. I ordered rhizomes from my LHBS early feb. I was told mid to end of march. I called earlier and the guy who answered the phone got sort of flustered that I would ask.. surprise surprise, he has no info!

Why is this so damn difficult to get rhizomes in a timely fashion? Someone here please enlighten me. I used my first year hops in a beer last year (even though some advised me not to), and came out fine. I would like to get the first year rhizomes in the ground asap to give them as much time as they need.

I would have assumed with the 'early spring' in my region it would have helped aid in getting them to me sooner. I am somewhat concerned as the second year hops are currently taking off!

The farms that raise hops come in all sizes and configurations. Hops may be their primary crop, or they may be just a few acres of something to help diversify a small farmer's income. Sometimes, farms consider it worthwhile to routinely dig and sell rhizomes on a wholesale basis. This is where it can get sticky as the middleman they sell to may or may not be familiar with the proper way to manage and sell live plant material.

A friend of mine who doesn't actually raise hops to sell, works with local growers and digs a large assortment of rhizomes every year. He knows how to clean, grade and store them properly until they are packed and shipped to the final user. Some third parties may be late in getting the plant material from whoever they bought it from for one reason or another (weather can be a big factor here), and they have to tell you (the customer) something, right or wrong.

I would suggest to buy from a seller who either farms and digs their own hops, or at the very least digs them to be resold. This eliminates many of the potential issues that can come up in the mean time.

I was shopping for them recently and found the same issue - every company was "hoping" to ship mid-April.

I eventually got some from a friend who grows them in his backyard (actually, he gave me rhizones plus a whole crown of Cascade he didn't want) and he told me to check on Craigslist whenever I need some. Apparently a fair amount of people put them on there for cheap. He also said sometimes he hasn't had luck with people picking them up so he ends up just dropping them off at a community garden and someone picks them up.

Western Oregon had its wettest winter on record, so most farms are nothing but mud. It's impossible to harvest rhizomes right now without damaging the plants.

Sorry you are having such a hard time getting them, there are lots of farmers locally to me that sell them or even give them away depending on the rhizome thinning they are doing at the time. I have yet to plant them but I do help harvest at Mighty Axe. You may want to look into some local people too.

Wow, relax man. Its awesome that you are so excited but there are many factors at play.

Check youtube for videos on how they are harvested. Like B-hoppy and David_42 said, the timing is critical. In some parts they are dug up and in others, they use a leafblower to remove the soil. Either way, the soil has to be just right.

These are also a seasonal item. You don't want a rhizome dug up last year and stored all through the summer. You want the freshest possible.

Finally, you need to realize that neither you, your LHBS or even some middle-man marketer are the biggest customers of the PNW hop farmers. They are selling rhizomes in the thousands to China and elsewhere. My operation used to sell rhizomes but we've since switched to live plants. We won't bother with individual sales because we would lose money on the labor to package them up.

...You may want to look into some local people too.

This is the best advice. If you can find someone in your area, then you not only get the rhizome but some advice on what grows best.

If you are looking for a new source, either go for live plants from Great lakes or check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=576655. I can't gurantee that Ray's (Halifaxhops) rhizomes are the best...but make sure you call him and talk to him for at least a 1/2 hour. His stories are F@#$ing HILARIOUS!!!!

Yo, big guy...sober up and look here, Dan.
Catch him when he's drunk for the best stories. That would be anytime after 10 am-ish, right Halifax man?

Hey I am still on coffee. Right now I am doing the rhizomes. It is the time of year here. Just be patient and do it slowly. Once you are in the mode it goes fast.

I've had my plants from Great Lakes in the fridge for a few weeks now. Our weather has been the hold up, not the supplier.

In any case, they will arrive in plenty of time to plant and get a growing season in. RDWHAHB!

Well, I got my rhizomes today. But they were missing labeled. Hopefully what I was told was correct.

Anywho, I will certainly note for next year and be more patient :)

Great lakes will ship them out whenever you want. But they are plants and not rhizomes. I am satisfied with the results.

I did this and planted in the fall. The hops are already coming up. :) For me that's the way to go.

which seems like the better (if more expensive) option anyways

My experience with rhizomes is always get 2 so that at least one will survive. They are usually weak and pathetic. The difference between a plant and 2 rhizomes is practically nothing. And you get a very good start to the growing season.

Also, I'm down in the southwest where the growing season starts much earlier than the rhizomes ship out. So getting the plant when my season starts is very helpful.

On the bright side, since you don't have them yet in guessing you weren't just outside removing all the snow from your hop planters. Because I just was.

These poor things don't know what to do - they just started to show themselves a week ago.

Back