Why do you homebrew? Are people nuts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went through the list of common answers about how you can make beer cheeper......

A few weeks ago, I was standing in line at one of the local homebrew shops and the guy in front of me wracked up close to $200.00 before it was all said and done. He asked the buy behind the counter jokingly, "When does this get cheaper?" The guy replied, "Saving money by brewing your own beer is like buying a fishing boat to try and save money by catching your own fish..."

Homebrewing. It's the most incredible science experiment that you can do. and repeat. and repeat. and repeat. and each time you get beer!

We start with an idea for what we want. Then using chemistry, math, (science), etc for basic planning we come up with an initial base to begin. we start with water and grain use a home built MLT (DIY) extract sugars and create the wort then using a hydrometer or refractometer (gadgets) get exact measurements of what we have adjust it until it is where the plan says or close (plans always change) then use a big ass propane burner for heat (fire) boil it add the hops for balance and flavor, cool with a home built counterflow chiller put it into a giant carboy pitch yeast and then watch the magic. couldn't be a better hobby. (Beer!)

I think I am approaching making beer at about the same cost as buying it at the store. At least for craft brews. I haven't built a lot of equipment (yet) but I'm sure it will come.

I like cooking, I like dabbling with building stuff, and I really like drinking. It's a great mixture of several hobbies.

Some folks have no lives. It's as plain as that.

I have friends who literally have no hobbies, who basically work, go out and drink beer, hang out with their wives/girlfriends, and watch tv/movies. That's it. They're usually the ones who think I'm nuts for brewing my own beer.

Generally speaking, the more inquisitive people who have their own hobbies are pretty accepting of it- they're more likely to be impressed, and think brewing is a lot harder than it really is- sometimes they may think I'm crazy for that reason.

As to why I started; a couple of friends of mine bought a starter kit in college, and I helped out with making a few batches. Of course, the boob who ran the shop didn't, I think, really know what he was doing, and did ******* things like sold "Vienna Lager" kits to guys like us who would be brewing in our dorm rooms and apartments, and we were pretty disappointed when it was estery and funky as hell.

About 5 years passed, and I ended up inheriting the old starter kit. Then, another guy I knew got married and had a kid- he gave me his brewing stuff. So there I was with a whole lot of brewing equpment that I really didn't know how to use, so I decided to figure out how to make something drinkable!

I started homebrewing because I found myself watching way too much tv, and complaining there was nothing on to watch. So I thought I would see if I could make beer. The time I'm making beer, I can't watch tv. Since starting last July, I found I do enjoy it. The beer is so much better than what I bought. Each batch, seems to be getting better with age, so much so that when I was at a buddies the other day and ran out of what I'd brought, I could barely force down the beer he gave me. Not sure I'll be drinking too many more bmc's in my life. But I will continue to drink actual good beer.

I started brewing (well, at least helping) at the age of 5. Dad brewed his own, along with my uncle and many friends. When I turned 21, I finally (legally) brewed a batch from my own hands and have never stopped. I don't do it to save money, or any of the other sill reasons. I do it for the love of beer, and the joy of drinking my own creation!

i homebrew as a hobby and to enjoy a variety of styles of beer, some of which may not be available where i live. and of course, it's alot cheaper than buying from the store.
i haven't had a negative response to it. everybody i talk to about homebrewing want to try a bottle of what i have ready to drink and are courious as how to get started brewing their own beer.

I have always been a science and engineering geek. I majored in chemistry in college. As a former lab rat I thoroughly enjoy being able to control the chemistry and the brewing process of the beer. Because I am science geek and not a creative person, this hobby is my chance to be creative and create something that gives not only me pleasure, but gives pleasure to my friends and family as well. Lastly, I have a son who is also an engineering geek and while he is not yet of drinking age he does enjoy brewing with me.

I have a real DIY streak in me. :p

I also plant a big garden and can/freeze most of the vegetables we use throughout the year. Not to mention that I also got a little ticked when the price of a six of craft beer broke the $10 mark around here.

Ditto! I have the self sufficiency streak like probably many here. 4-5 fishing trips and shrimping in the fall keep the freezer filled with seafood. All year gardening, bees, fruit, bread, etc. A co-worker gave me some hops rhizomes last year, so that was a good excuse to make my own beer and since my taste has evolved in recent years to craft ales in particular, it makes sense. Next in line is mead :)

I've always liked to explore how things are made from scratch. Everything from cheese to different types of specialty foods and drinks. I just think its really kool to see how people discovered to to all this stuff and how the different arts have been perfected over time, you know?

Now that I know what goes into brewing for example, I find it fascinating to think how the idea to make beer was even conceived by people. When you know what goes into some thing you can appreciate it a lot more and its history.

Did somebody thousands of years ago accidentally soak barley in warm water, forget about it for a few weeks and then come back and drink this funky tasting, wild yeast fermented, primordial brew. How did they know to malt the barley? How were specific yeast strains targeted and harvested to be used for brewing this ancient drink. It must have tasted really funny in its early stages, why did they try to duplicate it?...etc.

A co-worker gave you some hop rhizomes? Crap. I think I would have a coronary if a co-worker even brought up homebrewing, let alone said "hey, want some hop rhizomes? these cascades been growin like weeks in my side yard".

Same here!

Some folks have no lives. It's as plain as that.

I have friends who literally have no hobbies, who basically work, go out and drink beer, hang out with their wives/girlfriends, and watch tv/movies. That's it. They're usually the ones who think I'm nuts for brewing my own beer.

Generally speaking, the more inquisitive people who have their own hobbies are pretty accepting of it- they're more likely to be impressed, and think brewing is a lot harder than it really is- sometimes they may think I'm crazy for that reason.

As to why I started; a couple of friends of mine bought a starter kit in college, and I helped out with making a few batches. Of course, the boob who ran the shop didn't, I think, really know what he was doing, and did ******* things like sold "Vienna Lager" kits to guys like us who would be brewing in our dorm rooms and apartments, and we were pretty disappointed when it was estery and funky as hell.

About 5 years passed, and I ended up inheriting the old starter kit. Then, another guy I knew got married and had a kid- he gave me his brewing stuff. So there I was with a whole lot of brewing equpment that I really didn't know how to use, so I decided to figure out how to make something drinkable!

I couldn't agree more, most of the people that think it is nuts don't have very interesting lives or do anything else other than what you said above. There is so many things to do and be interested in I don't understand why people could ever be bored.

Flying, hang gliding, woodworking, collecting things, cooking, and brewing beers are a few ways people add a little interest to their lives.

But some are just boring zipper heads who do what the guy in the TV commercial tells them, like a wind up doll.

One odd response I've found to my brewing is fear.
Some people look at it with real fear and trepidation just exactly like some people respond with near mortal terror when you offer to share you plate of freshly breaded and fried hand picked morel mushrooms from your front yard.

Apparently if it doesn't come off a store shelf some people think it's some how less-than.

These have to be the same people who use expressions like "Restaurant Quality" when talking about food because the grub they whip up is so pitiful that anything has to be better.

Personally I enjoy making what I have from scratch. There is nothing better than eating a meal consisting of fish you caught and cleaned from a local stream, seasoned with herbs from the garden and cooked by yours truly. Paired with beer that I made myself. I'm working towards some cheap, repeatable batches so that I can cut out the BMC all together.

As a college student, most people think that I'm crazy for making so much food from scratch. It does save me money, and certainly costs me more time, but the reward is worth it in my opinion.

One of the reasons I brew is to have brews that are hard to find. If I want a hoppy American IPA, I can go to any brewpub in the PNW and find 2 or 5 or 6. Try and find a Brown or a hoppy session ale or any session ale period.

Anybody know a good recipe for a spicy deli-style Italian sausage? Not a mild sausage jacked up with red pepper, a spicy one. Can't find any around here.

I homebrew because discount beer ( bud light ) costs $38.00 a case in Canada. Micros, much more. Now you know.

Conehead

HAHA your absolutely right, probably the same reason I am going to brew again, other than the fact that my brew tasted just as good as some craft brews do at less than HALF the price!

Like I was telling SWMBO last night: The pint of Hefe I was holding would cost $4 or $5 in a bar, IF they actually had something similar.

It cost $0.45 for me to make.

:rockin:

people are redic...

I would of asked the guy what do you do for fun?

His response would have probably been "I hunt, or I collect baseball cards" and your response would probably have been something positive. People just like to hate on other people... You can't win for losing in this world...

Just go on about what you were doing and live your life.

I love beer and consider myself to be a beer nerd. It was only a natural progression that eventually I would start making it myself.

I think people on this board are a rare breed being that they're Americans with a true honest-to-God hobby. People my age (I'm 25) either don't have any hobbies, or the hobbies that they do have aren't really hobbies at all. I've heard so many people say that watching TV and listening to music are hobbies, but I'm pretty sure that being entertained isn't a hobby at all.

I love to cook and I love beer. And good craft beer is expensive, so naturally I had to take the plunge. And after two batches of beer, I'm trying to get to having one in primary at all times!

Yeah, I really enjoy good food/good beer/ etc as well but I also have a big side of why I homebrew that I would think is really common among brewers... that I haven't seen someone mention... and that is that brewing (and all that goes with it) couldn't possibly be more different than what I do for a living and what I do on a day-to-day basis.

I have a really stressful job and my days are spent in meetings and in my office in front of a computer. I deal with a lot of very self-absorbed people who make enourmous sums of money (I don't... but they do). Know all of the "Wall Street Fat Cats" everyone cries about in the news? That's what I do for a living (the Fat Cat stuff... not the crying).

I actually really like the stress and I really like my job... but having a hobby that I can get totally lost in is a huge stress reliever. I really enjoy working with my hands and trying to figure out how to build something... hence my bar... and rig.. and walk-in cooler... etc etc. The building-it phase is just as fun as the brewing itself sometimes. And when I'm done, I get the satisfaction of sitting back and watching something I've built work.

I constantly laugh to myself and shake my head saying, "I can't believe I made THAT" (in a good way).

AND... I get to drink good beer as a result!!

Then... layered on top of all of that... I think the homebrewing community is one of the best there is. With VERY few exceptions, homebrewers don't have any airs about them. I belong to an awesome club where no one cares what you do for a living, what kind of car you drive or how much brewing experience you have. We're there because we all really appreciate beer and want to learn more about it. It's a REALLY nice change from the majority of people I deal with on a daily basis.

I with everyone else. work is so boring that i need something to keep me sharp. as soon as I find something I don't know how to do, I want to learn everything i can about it.

A teacher put it best on a report card "Student has a quest for in depth knowledge" it may have been a canned note, but i think it fits me to a tee.

Some people are content just to go through life on cruise control.. I think i speak for all of us... WE WANT MORE!

Ethanol is a chemical and a preservative. :fro:

SO IS WATER.

I brew because craft beer got me hooked on great beer. Making it myself is merely a pride thing. Also the DIY aspect of it is almost 1/2 the fun. :mug:

Well, for me…I don't like beer (or any alcoholic beverage) all that much, but I've always been fascinated by them. The idea of taking sweetened water (be it via grain, fruit, or honey) and letting a fungi work on it for a while and then you get a beverages. It's rather wild to watch and to learn about.

Like other people on this thread, I do a lot of cooking — I roast my own coffee, I do all big meals in my household, and I do all the shopping. I like having the best food that I can get, and I make sure of it by making it myself.

I've been tasting more beer since starting brewing and I may be finding a couple styles that are tasty, which is good because I've been getting tired of drinking soda (even home-made) and don't like the per-cup effort for tea.

Also, I have two roommates who love beer and so can drink my output. They fund the brews and I get a fun hobby.

I brew because all the beer at the store tastes the same to me. I wanted something with FLAVOR! I also enjoy the process. Creating something for someone else to enjoy and watching them enjoy it is one of lifes little pleasures. Couldn't ask for more really.

Ive also never had this reaction before, the guy obviously misses the point and it makes me feel slightly better to know that I can experience one of lifes true pleasures and truely appreciate it when others are not able to. I presume he has his own hobbies but to make a comment like that just makes him sound like a moron. :D

Im going to have a HB :mug:

i enjoy the brewing process. im a gadget freak. i like beer. yes i still buy plenty, but i brew plenty also.
mostly i find that people are interested in it. i live near st louis and AB is what 98% of people around here consider beer. so when they see a silky black beast being decanted into a glass they are either a bit apprehensive or chompin' at the bit for it.

im digressing.

i love to brew because i love to brew.

sounds like that guy needs a reality check.

i do it b/c I like to. it helps that i like beer and am a DIY kinda guy.

I figure there are only a handful of reasons for doing anything.
1 - you enjoy it
2 - income
3 - TWMBO commands it
4 - it just needs doing (think chores around the house)

its open to suggestion, but if in general, if it doesn't fit into one of the 4 categories, why bother?

I don't own a TV.

I like chemistry, math, biology, and engineering.

I enjoy cooking and eating.

Um, beer?!!!

Its an adult hobby, unlike video games.

It helps fill the time between sex.

This is an interesting paradigm difference; the guy the OP spoke about is probably a "give a man a fish" guy; we're "learn to fish people". People are either experimenters and doers or they aren't.

I don't own a TV.

I like chemistry, math, biology, and engineering.

I enjoy cooking and eating.

Um, beer?!!!

Its an adult hobby, unlike video games.

It helps fill the time between sex.

This is an interesting paradigm difference; the guy the OP spoke about is probably a "give a man a fish" guy; we're "learn to fish people". People are either experimenters and doers or they aren't.

The spirit monkey hath spoken.

Is it sad that one of the main reasons I brew is to prevent having to carry cases of beer from my trunk to my apt 3x/week. Also preventing the trip to the beer store after work just as often. That alone saves me over 2 hours a week and time in traffic which is priceless.

I was going to ask where you could possibly live that makes for such bad traffic. Then I looked at your avatar & caption.

Fairfax: It figures
Used to be such a beautiful place.
I got family in Fairfax. I'm in western central NJ and it's like rural farmland and unexplored wilderness compared to Fairfax.

Don't get me wrong. I'm an engineer so I love all the gadgets and the process in general. Obviously without that what motivation is there to keep brewing. But saving trips to the store and hauling cases of bottles in/out of my apt is priceless.

Fairfax is suburban hell. Can't even go 2 miles without going thru 15 stop lights. I've moved farther out to Reston which is beautiful. 10 miles can make such a difference.

Latest posts

Back