Why do I fly??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
This is why:

I took a good friend of mine for a "hundred dollar hamburger" trip a couple weeks ago, and he finally got a chance to send me some of the pics he took. His camera is old and it sucks, but it managed to snap some OK pics.

First off, where are we?

dscn1241zp1.jpg

If you look at the GPS moving map, you'll see a depiction of Greater Cincinnati International Airport's Airspace (the pink round lines at the top). It was a Sunday, and the controllers were nice enough to let us fly right through the middle of their airspace:)

dscn1234ej2.jpg

This is the view about the same time the previous pic was taken. We're over rural Indiana. All the fields are empty this time of year, but it's a nice time for me to relax, 'cause in a minute I'm gonna have my hands full in CVG's airspace.

dscn1244av9.jpg

This is the local Ski slope, Perfect North. It looks tiny from up here, but when you're at the top of the black diamond (second from the left) it's quite intimidating

sweet pictures. Seems to be a lot of home brewers that are pilots. BTW all the fancy instruments are cheating!:p ;)

dscn1249hz2.jpg

We're in the busy airspace now, and ATC asks me to climb to 5,500 feet so we can go over top of the landing traffic at CVG. The Ohio river is coming into view, and the sun to the south is glistening off of the water. The pic seriously doesn't even come close to doing justice!

dscn1254jc7.jpg

The population density is going up quickly. Here's a shot of one of the bigger highschools on the west side of the city

dscn1258vk8.jpg

There's downtown Cincinnati. We've just passed CVG and there were airliners all over the place. It's rare that a private pilot like me get's a chance to see those beauties up close and personal like that. Unfortunately the crappy camera wasn't able to pick up any good ones while we were there. Here you can see Paul Browne Stadium to the right (where the Bungles... I mean Bangles play. The Ohio River is left to right.

dscn1255yj5.jpg

We're right on top of the city now. On the street, those building are big. Up here, it's just a tiny piece of the scenery.

dscn1262pp1.jpg

Before we get too far out of the city, Jay snapped one last shot over his shoulder of the bridges that connect Cincinnati with Newport and Covington in Kentucky. Cincy is on the right, Kentucky on the left.

This trip was one of my funnest. We stopped in Columbus Indiana for lunch, and all of these pics came from the trip home to I69 Clermont County. When we got home, I simulated an engine failure and Jay was amazed at how I handled it. Heck, even I was amazed at how good a job I did. On final approach I was a little high and a little fast, which is exactly what you want if the engine were in fact dead. That way you always have a little extra energy if the wind kicks up and you need it. It's easy to dump energy at the last minute. It's impossible to add even a tiny bit of energy if the prop isn't spinning. So I kicked the airplane sideways, exposing the side of the fuselage to the airflow to create drag. The Cessna dropped down quickly without speeding up, and I straightened out and flared into a perfectly smooth landing..... It was a great, great day:)

It is a 172S (180HP instead of 160HP).

The real cheating part, is the fact that I never touched the main controls throughout the pic session. The autopilot was keeping us on course. HOWEVER, any pilot will tell you that the work load is only slightly reduced with the "fancy" electronics! Can a computer fly a plane? yes. Can it communicate with ATC, Plan for emergencies, Talk to passengers, Make decisions if something goes awry? NO, not in any case!

shafferpilot said:
It is a 172S (180HP instead of 160HP).

The real cheating part, is the fact that I never touched the main controls throughout the pic session. The autopilot was keeping us on course. HOWEVER, any pilot will tell you that the work load is only slightly reduced with the "fancy" electronics! Can a computer fly a plane? yes. Can it communicate with ATC, Plan for emergencies, Talk to passengers, Make decisions if something goes awry? NO in every case!

Nice. I have only flew a few planes with Autopilot but know what you mean. The plane I fly does not have any GPS stuff in it. Although I do have a Garmin 196. :) Which makes things nice.

I find that the GPS makes me a safer pilot because I can devote more time to safety issues when NOT in controlled airspace. I find my eyes stay on the outside world most of the time, instead of constantly checking the OBS, compass, altimeter, etc. However, some use it as a cure all, and that IS dangerous. I always have the sectional chart in my lap, tracking progress so when that GPS dies, I'm A-OK to keep going.

shafferpilot said:
I find that the GPS makes me a safer pilot because I can devote more time to safety issues when NOT in controlled airspace. I find my eyes stay on the outside world most of the time, instead of constantly checking the OBS, compass, altimeter, etc. However, some use it as a cure all, and that IS dangerous. I always have the sectional chart in my lap, tracking progress so when that GPS dies, I'm A-OK to keep going.

Good practice to have the sectional chart in hand.. Most pilots I know a GPS makes them a much more dangerous pilot. We made a trip from Texas to WI. and lost GPS signal for two hours. Had we not had the sectional charts we would have been in some trouble.

Pilots that don't prepare for the worst are the same ones who are scared to ask ATC for help when they do get into trouble. So that makes them EXTREMELY dangerous pilots

Ya know, I haven't talked pilot talk in a long time. I had a girlfriend who crashed a plane in a cornfield. And I lost another friend in a Baron when he was practicing simulated engine failures on take offs. They just corkscrewed into the ground. Money permitting though,1 I'd still go back to it in a second.

I'm sorry to hear that your life experience with light aircraft is so dismal. Training is inherently very dangerous. We intentionally put the aircraft into situations that are at best tenuous, and at worst life threatening.... And we do it regularly and on purpose! SWMBO has convinced me to stop telling her about instructors putting me into spins with my foggles (view limiting device) on and such. It makes her nervous, and with good reason. But it is absolutely necessary, so what can you do.

If you ever find yourself in Cincinnati, I'd love to take you for a pleasant ride:) Actually, for the moment that goes for anyone. I'm building time at the moment, so most of my flights are short cross countries. It get's boring doing them alone, but a ton of fun with another person. It's also good practice for me, since I'll be an instructor soon, so the distraction of another person in the cockpit is good for my training.

shafferpilot said:
I'm sorry to hear that your life experience with light aircraft is so dismal.

Actually, my experience with light aircraft has been great. It's everyone else's experiences that have been dismal.

I have about 40 hours in a 140 and spent about 1,000 hours on a homebuilt before I got sidetracked by the thought of designing and building from scratch.

I was also an A&P in a former life and have a 4-year aviation degree. I have friends at Chatauqua, Cessna, and Beech (Raytheon), to name a few.

shafferpilot said:
I have to ask, "What do you do now?"

Well, after getting out of aviation, I went to law school. I worked for the IRS, then I did immigration law. Now I work at a call center, managing early twenty-somethings for $11 an hour.

I'm an introvert by nature... I really don't like people at all. However, part of me really likes being the best manager they've ever had. I like working hard. The job doesn't really matter so much to me anymore. Bills get paid, or they don't. If I'm making a positive influence on others and helping others be their best, then I'm all right. Not everybody's life can go as planned, yaknow?

:mug:

perhaps that's where you went wrong;) So how far did you get on the design of your homebuilt? I spent most of my youth building and flying models. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I could design my own models. So I did. My best was a ducted fan F-4 Phantom that was about 3 feet long. I never finished that one, but the fun was in the planning, calculations, drawing, molding, etc. I'd have crashed it on the first flight if I did finish it, so it doesn't really matter now that I didn't.

shafferpilot said:
perhaps that's where you went wrong;) So how far did you get on the design of your homebuilt? I spent most of my youth building and flying models. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I could design my own models. So I did. My best was a ducted fan F-4 Phantom that was about 3 feet long. I never finished that one, but the fun was in the planning, calculations, drawing, molding, etc. I'd have crashed it on the first flight if I did finish it, so it doesn't really matter now that I didn't.

The design is in process. I'm really just focused on the wing... a single seater with 34 sqft of wing area. It's spec'd as a 6-series laminar airfoil with LE flaps taking up 1/3 of the chord to maintain laminar flow over the critical portion of the wing and a double slotted trailing edge at the other side.

The intended powerplant is a turbo-normalized 4-stroke making 60-80hp at altitude. What's exciting about that is that a turbo-normalized engine isn't stressed significantly more than an NA engine. So it's complexity, but at the cost of pilot work load, not a ridiculously operating higher cost. The goal is 100mpg somewhere around FL250. Gross weight under 650lbs. And try to keep the descent/landing checklist under 3 pages.

Right now, I'm making the mold for the leading edge flaps. The wing will be attached to a trailer and tested/tweaked to confirm the plane won't stall above 45mph or so. The goal isn't some formula one handful, but rather a plane that will reward adherence to checklists and training over raw skill and I will lengthen the wing if necessary to achieve that. The preliminary fuselage calculations are telling me I will need to be transferring fuel between 3 or more tanks in mid-flight to maintain weight/balance. That's funny considering we're only talking about maybe 14 gallons of capacity, but if you think about it, that's roughly a quarter of the plane's anticipated empty weight. Like I said, a plane that rewards adherence to procedure.

SWMBO has convinced me to stop telling her about instructors putting me into spins with my foggles (view limiting device) on and such. It makes her nervous, and with good reason. But it is absolutely necessary, so what can you do.
For those reading along, unless you are aiming for an instructor's certificate (as is shafferpilot), spinning the plane not only isn't absolutely necessary it isn't even necessary. It once was and many think getting the training will make you a better pilot, but it isn't a requirement.

Great pictures, by the way. Glad you had a great trip.

Rick
(Who is a pilot, but who doesn't spin airplanes) :)

In all fairness, I've never been in a full spin (a term reserved for a spin that completes two full revolutions). Frankly, the spin entry is intimidating enough for me;) None of what we do in training is to be taken lightly. Like I said before, much of what we do is potentially deadly, and loosing site of that, even for a moment, is asking for big trouble.

Sir Humpsalot said:
The design is in process. I'm really just focused on the wing... a single seater with 34 sqft of wing area. It's spec'd as a 6-series laminar airfoil with LE flaps taking up 1/3 of the chord to maintain laminar flow over the critical portion of the wing and a double slotted trailing edge at the other side.

The intended powerplant is a turbo-normalized 4-stroke making 60-80hp at altitude. What's exciting about that is that a turbo-normalized engine isn't stressed significantly more than an NA engine. So it's complexity, but at the cost of pilot work load, not a ridiculously operating higher cost. The goal is 100mpg somewhere around FL250. Gross weight under 650lbs. And try to keep the descent/landing checklist under 3 pages.

Right now, I'm making the mold for the leading edge flaps. The wing will be attached to a trailer and tested/tweaked to confirm the plane won't stall above 45mph or so. The goal isn't some formula one handful, but rather a plane that will reward adherence to checklists and training over raw skill and I will lengthen the wing if necessary to achieve that. The preliminary fuselage calculations are telling me I will need to be transferring fuel between 3 or more tanks in mid-flight to maintain weight/balance. That's funny considering we're only talking about maybe 14 gallons of capacity, but if you think about it, that's roughly a quarter of the plane's anticipated empty weight. Like I said, a plane that rewards adherence to procedure.

WOW, that's ambitious as all get out! 25,000 feet aint nothin to shake a stick at! I've been tinkering with what I've been calling my "air bike". I figure it will be the same as comparing a motorcycle to a car. a rocket plane is not the goal. instead I'd like find a balance of handling and simlpicity. Range and payload are low on the list of priorities. Since construction is probably decades away, I'm planning on utilizing one of the tiny turbojets being developed for the VLJ (very light jet) market. Those things are incredible in the power/weight department. The biggest difference is in the seating position. Picture the position that a crotch rocket rider is in and apply that to an airplane cockpit. The top priority is to give this 'bike' a see through front, perhaps with a heads up display for primary instrumentation. that way, if you lift your head a little and look forward, there's nothing but sky in the field of vision, as if the airplane weren't even there. i guess I'm chasing Icharus's dream, but then again, aren't we all?

I opened this thinking you were going to tell me why you think fly sparging is better than batch sparging - lol

So, shaffer, is that a pressurized cabin?

My boss has a 172 Skyhawk II, very nice little plane. We fly a lot, to jobs down in NC. We just took a little trip on Tuesday to see a client, actually. Only thing about it, you can't get about 10k, so he's in the process of purchasing a bigger Cessna with a pressurized cabin. That'll be sweet---it's got a ceiling of about 23k', but we'll probably hang around 15-17k and get above the weather, and just scream along at 200+ knots. Plus, it's a bigger cabin so I won't be rubbing elbows with him the whole time.

Very cool pics! I've been through Cincy many times and it's pretyt cool to see it from that view.

my uncle flies and instructs, or at least used to, small aircraft flight... he talks just like all of you... and I sit there and shake my head and act as if I know what he's telling me... all I know....

it's cool as bless! keep the pictures coming!

Evan! said:
So, shaffer, is that a pressurized cabin?

My boss has a 172 Skyhawk II, very nice little plane. We fly a lot, to jobs down in NC. We just took a little trip on Tuesday to see a client, actually. Only thing about it, you can't get about 10k, so he's in the process of purchasing a bigger Cessna with a pressurized cabin. That'll be sweet---it's got a ceiling of about 23k', but we'll probably hang around 15-17k and get above the weather, and just scream along at 200+ knots. Plus, it's a bigger cabin so I won't be rubbing elbows with him the whole time.

Nope, it's not pressurized. I've learned that if my passenger is talking my ear off, all I have to do is climb until the O2 drop slows 'em down :p JK

My flight school is also a Cessna dealer and there's been a Cessna 182 Turbo sitting in the hanger for a couple weeks now that we've all been drooling over. Some day I'll be flying the bigger, badder stuff. For now, I'm totally thrilled just getting up there with the big boys.

shafferpilot said:
Nope, it's not pressurized. I've learned that if my passenger is talking my ear off, all I have to do is climb until the O2 drop slows 'em down :p JK

My flight school is also a Cessna dealer and there's been a Cessna 182 Turbo sitting in the hanger for a couple weeks now that we've all been drooling over. Some day I'll be flying the bigger, badder stuff. For now, I'm totally thrilled just getting up there with the big boys.

Heh, even though he's fully IFR rated, there's still like 25 hours that he's gotta put in before he can take the new plane up alone---most of it has to do with the pressurization and a little with the retractable gear.

So what's your cruising air speed in that plane??

It's funny....my brew partner is a captain for a commercial airline and he absolutely hates to fly....LOL

I guess that's with anything when it becomes a job....

wihophead said:
It's funny....my brew partner is a captain for a commercial airline and he absolutely hates to fly....LOL

I guess that's with anything when it becomes a job....

Well, there's also a pretty big difference between flying a light aircraft and getting in a big passenger jet. Flying around for fun is...fun. Flying from point A to point B and having f*cked-up hours and not being home alot is...well...not (at least, I imagine). Plus, those bigass planes pretty much fly themselves. Not that it's easy, but you're not taking the yoke and flying around the big blue sky anymore. I dunno about you, but this looks like work to me...

SYDD2589.jpg

Evan! said:
Plus, those bigass planes pretty much fly themselves.

I have heard stories about pilots sleeping or watching movies while they are up there...lol

This is more along the lines of what he flies.....not nearly as advanced as that Airbus

0182820.jpg

Evan! said:
Heh, even though he's fully IFR rated, there's still like 25 hours that he's gotta put in before he can take the new plane up alone---most of it has to do with the pressurization and a little with the retractable gear.

So what's your cruising air speed in that plane??

maximum indicated airspeed for cruise flight is 130 knots. As you can see in my first pic, I generally push it right to the line. If I'm paying by the hour, I might as well get there as soon as possible.

yeah, insurance companies get nervous and start insisting on more training when a pilot/owner gets a new piece of hardware... especially one that costs in the half to one million dollar range.

If a commercial pilot isn't thrilled to death with his job every single day, he should try doing one that actually sucks every day like construction, landscaping, auto repair, etc. etc. etc. Being a pilot is a life style and a pilot who doesn't love every second of it is probably a danger to his passengers, coworkers, and everyone on the ground beneath him. I'm not trying to poo-poo your friend, it's just that this is an industry where mistakes, even small ones, are deadly. If your head isn't truly in the game, it's a problem.... having said that:

I'm friends with some old retired airline pilots and one was a passenger on a flight to LA. since he knew the route, he was a little surprised when the plane entered a holding pattern over LA without any descent. It was 20 minutes before the captain came on the intercom to say something about a delay, but they would be landing soon. The plane quickly descended and landed. He said he was pretty sure that the crew had dosed off and the autopilot put the plane in the hold when it didn't have anywhere else to go. Is that just an old man spinning tales? maybe, but it's disturbing none the less.

I think Even! hit the nail on the head....

From my experience with commercial pilots, his wife was a flight attendant until 911 and her father is a retired pilot. and my sister was engaged to a first officer. So between talking with them and their friends I can tell you this.....
If being thrilled to death with your job every single day was a prerequisite to be a commercial pilot I think there would be a shortage of pilots....lol

I bet it starts out as a great life style when you are young and single but as you get older and you get tired of the politics, living in filthy hotels and being diverted due to bad weather and such it just wears on you. My brewing partner is also my neighbor, he got diverted twice last month due to fog and snow and they came down on him due to excessive fuel consumption like it was his fault not to mention it caused him to be gone for an additional 5 days so are brewing session had to be postponed...:mad:.
Then you throw in the whole economic uncertainty of the industry and the physicals every 6 months which if something comes up could spell the end of your carrier.....it really could get old quick, now do it for say 20+ years.

wihophead said:
Then you throw in the whole economic uncertainty of the industry and the physicals every 6 months which if something comes up could spell the end of your carrier.....it really could get old quick, now do it for say 20+ years.

i'm sure when they started 20+ years ago the rules weren't as strict as they are now, I can only imagine after 911 the amount of pressure airline companies felt...

i'm sure now the training and even applying to be a commercial pilot, or learn how to fly one is pretty intense.... background checks, etc.

i'm sure now the training and even applying to be a commercial pilot, or learn how to fly one is pretty intense.... background checks, etc.
Not much to it at all. Now, using your commercial certificate once earned to actually get a job with an airline would likely bring all of your imagining into play, I suspect.

Edit: being a lowly private pilot, I am speaking from less than firm knowledge, but I don't think much (in the way of background scrutiny) is required to train and get the commercial ticket.

Rick

HA! It took me a year and a half of evaluative therapy and letter writing from every responsible adult I know to get the FAA to clear me for flight training. And all I ever did was smoke some refeer.

Nearly ALL of my flying hours have been with the USAF in twin engine jets.
Yes, and just so you know, we who fly spam cans hate you.

:)

I've been assuming you are the Yuri from the aviation newsgroups (though I rarely go there anymore). True?

Rick

Back