Who's had an infection? A show of hands.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show of Hands. Have You Had An Infected Brew? (Check All That Apply)

• No. I've never (knock on wood) had an infection.

• Yes, an All Grain Recipe got infected.

• Yes, an Extract/PM (or all-in-one-kit) got infected.

• I wasn't absolutely sure, but I dumped it out (and wish I hadn't).

Results are only viewable after voting.
I had some infected bottles in a batch once. Some were fine, others were really sour (probably a lactic infection). I'm not sure what happened with my bottling process that night, but it hasn't happened again.

I attempted a sour mash brew once that was a total dumper. I think it was more of a microbial mash than a sour mash.

I'm saying no because I never had one develop in the time it took to finish a brew. None left in about a couple of weeks.

Now off flavors are something else. That I could blame myself for poor handling or over sanatizing using bleach and not rinsing well enough with hot water.

I'm pretty certain I racked my Drop Top clone into a carboy that I forgot to sanitize. It was fine in the primary, but after sitting in the secondary for two weeks it got 'polar ice' growing on the top and it smelled like sour vinegar. I didn't bother waiting, I just dumped it.

I think my cider might be infected, I made it from clear apple juice and the first batch turned muddy and smelled like ****, the second batch smells like vinegar from the airlock but I can see it because its in a bucket. If it stinks like vinegar is it ruined? (found a piece of mold half the size of a dime when I poured the apple juice into the bucket, I was pretty pissed)

Back