Who's Gonna Get the latest Utopia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'd like to try it at some point, and having a bottle would be cool, but I'll leave this for my family to get me years down the road in appreciation for my awesomeness :)

never.

i have 5 bottles of single malt if I want to sip on 2oz of liquid. ok, one is a blend....

Does anyone know if you can even get this stuff for the suggested retail of $150 a bottle, or is it already sold out and you would have to shell out more than $500 a bottle to get your hands on it from someone who bought a crap load of it just to make a profit?

I equate this brew with dating an NFL cheerleader. It can't possibly be as much fun as it looks.

Well, yeah, it probably is, but common guys like me don't ever have to worry about knowing for sure.

I was in Los Angeles...and the BEVMO guy said they had some of the first shipments...they would be asking $170 per bottle.

I'm sorry...but I don't think this stuff is aged 12 years in oak. I buy Single Malts for 1/4-1/3 the price...and I know they aged it longer than Utopia. When they decide to manufacture enough of it to sell it for $40- $50 per bottle...I'll be more than happy to purchase it. Until then --- I think it's total nonsense.

I opened my bottle on Saturday. It is a pretty remarkable beer (liquor, really) and I am glad I got it. The aroma and flavor are both hot, but have a lot of amazing characteristics of whisky and bourbon and I really dig it. Burnt sugar, caramel, fruit, and more all in a thick liquid that really is like brandy, port, and bourbon in different ways, but still something all its own.

I can't imagine this is for everyone, but I am glad I bought one.

I bought 2 of the last 3 bottles at AJ's about 2 weeks ago. I got them at retail price and haven't treated myself to anything lately (still living like a college kid), but decided I would hold out on cracking the first one open until a special occasion. If you do find bottles, try to pick the ones that haven't been handled much. The promotion for the free glass would be easy to nab by someone with unscrupulous moral character.

I bought 2 of the last 3 bottles at AJ's about 2 weeks ago. I got them at retail price and haven't treated myself to anything lately (still living like a college kid), but decided I would hold out on cracking the first one open until a special occasion. If you do find bottles, try to pick the ones that haven't been handled much. The promotion for the free glass would be easy to nab by someone with unscrupulous moral character.

We're not allowed to receive it here in California. So stupid.

From what I have heard, Utopias keeps very well after initially breaking the seal. Don't know from personal experience, still holding out for a special occasion...

I almost convinced myself to consider the arrival of my promotion glasses such an occasion, but held out. The glasses are pretty nice, though, for those of you interested.

They are made by Riedel and consist of 24+% lead crystal. They are very similar to Riedel's Single Malt Whiskey glass (https://glassware.riedel.com/c-866-sommeliers/p-96-single-malt-whiskey-glass)with just a bit of reinterpretation. They also have branding etched into the base. Very classy pieces.

Every year I asked to put on the list with all the major liquor stores in the Chicagoland area and I never got one. I really think your chances are almost zero. I assume most of the store employees buy them or sell them to friends who in return resell then at 3X the price. I would love to have a bottle but do think I will ever get close to one that isn’t already empty,:(

From what I have heard, Utopias keeps very well after initially breaking the seal. Don't know from personal experience, still holding out for a special occasion...

I almost convinced myself to consider the arrival of my promotion glasses such an occasion, but held out. The glasses are pretty nice, though, for those of you interested.

They are made by Riedel and consist of 24+% lead crystal. They are very similar to Riedel's Single Malt Whiskey glass (https://glassware.riedel.com/c-866-sommeliers/p-96-single-malt-whiskey-glass)with just a bit of reinterpretation. They also have branding etched into the base. Very classy pieces.

Hey, if I had my glass sent to you, would you ship it to me? I mean, I'd obviously reimburse you...

well I guess I"m getting a bottle of the 2009. . . though I didn't really have any intention of getting it.

it started out with me going to BevMo to see if they had one laying around. they didn't but were nice enough to call all the other BevMo's in the area to see if htey had one also. none of them did. so I checked out fleabay to see what they were going for. I found a bottle that was ending in about an hour a reasonable price. I bid the minimum and was immediately out. so I decided to troll the bid and jack up the high bid to get close to the previous bidders high price. after driving the price up a little, I decided that I'll do one more minimum bid and call it a day knowing I jacked up the price a little. well that one more got me the high bid and I'm now the proud (?) recipient of a 2009 utopias.

I equate this brew with dating an NFL cheerleader. It can't possibly be as much fun as it looks.

Well, yeah, it probably is, but common guys like me don't ever have to worry about knowing for sure.

The equivalent would be "It's nice to get it once.

I bought one a couple years ago. Nice but I do not need to get another.

So I opened up my bottle of 2009 Utopias with the family for Christmas. wow. I really really liked this stuff. totally unlike anything I've ever had before. I'm not quite sure it's worth the price of the bottle but at the same time for a one time splurge I guess I can be okay with it.

a lot of people here were saying "is it really a beer at 27% and uncarbonated". I have to say that it is a "beer" in the same way that a formula 1 racer is a "car". (they both have 4 wheels and an engine but that's about there the similarities stop and they both are made with barley, water, yeast, and hops but that is where any similarities stop also)

it's sweet, has a big alcohol bite, with notes of malt, maple, brown sugar, and some spices with no hop bitterness at all.

it's a great after dinner drink to sip on every once in a while.

it's sweet, has a big alcohol bite, with notes of malt, maple, brown sugar, and some spices with no hop bitterness at all.

it's a great after dinner drink to sip on every once in a while.

Sounds like the beer liquor I bought at the Griesbrau brewery in Murmau Germany. Very interesting stuff. I think I paid about 35Euro for a 2 liter flip top bottle.
The brewery tour was great and I think included at least 7 pints and a few shots of beer liquor. The brew meister was tossing them back with us like no ones business. I was tore up and he seemed like he wasn't even buzzed.

I have 3/4 of that bottle left. I'm going to go hit it up now. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Back