Whole hop straining question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my current setup, I use a Blichmann 10 gallon kettle. Also, I perfer using whole hops when I brew.

I'm not too keen on the Hopblocker idea. I use a SS scrubby...works great and is much cheaper. I've been manually straining out my used hops before cooling my wort.

I recently started using grain bags for all of my hop additions to save on straining time.

Now I wondering about using the Blichman false bottom by itself as my whole hop strainer. Hopefully the hop filter bed would help filter any hot/cold break trub while moving the hot wort from my BK to my plate chiller.

Does anyone else use the Blichmann false bottom for that purpose? Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I'd even consider going to pellet hops if some type of straining process made sense.

It would really mess with the temperature consistency of your boil to have the mash screen in there. You'll get excessive carmelization below the screen, and not enough of a rolling boil above the screen to fully optimize protein coagulation.

I have a manifold in my BK similar to a copper mashtun manifold with slots (4" long). I can only use whole hops with it, but the hops themselves act as my filter for trub and break material. Sounds like its not much different than your scrubby set up.

As I see it the junk always settles to the bottom of the fermenter anyway.

I have a Polarware 10g kettle with false bottom, and use whole hops uncontained in the boil. Works like a charm (except the one time I forgot to put the false bottom in). The hops catch a lot of the hot break, but not the cold break that gets generated in the CFC.

-a.

EBloom....is that your experience...the excessive carmelization, temperature inconsistency, and not achieving a good rolling boil when using a false bottom in your BK?

I came across this suggestion recently during my brewing studies about using a false bottom in the BK for that very purpose that I'm inquiring about...using whole hops as a filter....prior to cooling my hot wort. I've also noted the response from AJF that says he does this without any issues.

I'm still leaning towards trying it unless more of my fellow brewers share their negative experiences with the process. I hope to hear from more of you on this topic.

Thanks to all of you for spending your time with this one.

No, I have never tried it. It's just sort of what my home brewers noggin tells me would happen. The one difference with ajf's process that might be a factor is that he has a Polarware. The Blichmann false bottom has a lot of solid metal, so I feel like it would constrict heat flow more. It seems like you're going to try this, so report back and tell us how it went.

So how it this working for you? I have the 10gal Polarware and am considering buying a false bottom to put in the boil to use whole hops as a filter. Curious what your experiences have been, now that you've had it a while.

it's awesome for whole hops. I have had no issues except I lose more volume because of the whole hops soaking up the wort. That can be easily compensated by designing my recipes for more of a finishing volume. I did get a Hop Rocket too.....my IPA's and DIPA's are awesome!

Glad to hear it's working out. Do you recirculate/whirlpool at all during chilling (If you use an IC, that is)? I wonder if the false bottom will clog up during a pump-driven whirlpool.

Do you use a pickup tube, or just drain from the stock port?

Also, what is a hop rocket? Is that like a hopback?

Thanks.

Let me get this straight you use a grain bag (as I do) which works very well with no loss of wort due to the whole hops (just squeeze the bag) and you want to use a false bottom with a loss of beautiful wort. What gives?

I don't use a grain bag to squeeze out wort....it might be better if I'd let it hang...but the squeezing out part is just not for me...so much more hop material and hop gunk that I don't want in my beer. My preference is to let the whole hops act as a filter bed which helps to clarify my wort prior to chilling. I do not whirlpool. On several of my brews, I'm using 4 to 16 oz. of whole hops...so there's plenty of filtering material at the bottom of my BK. As for a hop rocket, it's like a hop back/randall. I can put in 3 oz of whole hops into it and run my hot wort thru it just prior to my chiller...then into the fermenter. It also acts as a filter. And lastly, I've never had an issue with debris clogging my pump.

Latest posts

Back