Who knows what Pale Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
MoreBeer's current hop market has some cheap, oddball hops. So I said F it, lets make a pale ale.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 88.0 %
12.0 oz 135/160 (145.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
12.0 oz 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.0 %
2.00 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 33.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Green Bullet [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 30.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Jester [8.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min

I'm sure it will make a beer, but what flavor?

Not much if you're going to boil all 6 oz of them. Try to get 25-30 IBU at 60 minutes and add the rest in a whirlpool at a lower temperature. 63 IBUs is also kinda high for just a Pale Ale. Whirlpool will still add some bitterness, but mostly, it will add lots of flavour.

The grain bill has 2 different Crystal malts, which will add lots of typical Crystal malt flavours. I think they will compete with the hops. If you are after the flavour from the hops, swap all Crystal malts for more base malt.

I disagree with thehaze. You have late additions that will add quite a bit of flavor and aroma. Not as much aw whirlpool or dry hopping but a lot anyway.

I also disagree with the notion of eliminating all the crystal. Unless you are looking for a hop bomb.

You are going to have a Vanguard, Green Bullet, Jester Pale Ale.

Spicy, Floral from the Vanguard
Floral, Raisins maybe tropical fruit from the Green Bullet
Grapefruit and tropical fruits from the Jester.

Added: Flavor descriptions for the Vanguard and Green Bullet are from Hop Variety Handbook by Dan Woodske and Jester is from an internet search, I forget the site I looked at.

Last edited:
Plugged this one into Brewers Friend and was smacked by the color and hopping levels.
About 20 SRM and 60-70IBU, bittering ratio of about 1:1. Not "pale" ale, but a bit more akin to a Belgian dubbel color and twice the hopping you might expect of 30-40 IBU ranged APA.

This would be something I'd give to Mikey to try and see if he liked it because I''m definitely not a hop fan, nor have I ever used those hops in any beers. :)

This would be something I'd give to Mikey to try and see if he liked it because I''m definitely not a hop fan, nor have I ever used those hops in any beers. :)

I would not be worried about the "hop fan" part. I would be worried about overly bitter.

I also would not be overly worried about the color. There is the beer called a black india pale ale. Though that is more of a brown ale color.

+1 to the idea that you're not getting the best out of these hops. These aren't Citra-strength hops, they're more delicate, and they won't play particularly well with such a brute of a beer. By my reckoning that's 1.058 and 76IBU for a BU:GU of 1.33 and an ABV of around 6%.

Here in the UK Jester is definitely not an oddball, it's generally regarded as the best of the new generation of hops as it combines an English feel with the trendy tropical flavours. I'll emphasise that it's not nearly as concentrated as Citra or Galaxy, not by a long way, but it has some of the same flavours and you'll get the best out of it in the whirlpool or dry hop.

Typically here Jester will go in a golden ale of best strength - so an OG no more than 1.045, either 100% pale malt or no more than say 3% crystal (consider that Fuller's use less than 7% light crystal in their main beers).

Vanguard actually looks like it could be a good candidate for historical milds and porters, with that high beta content.

I stalled out on this recipe and went with a warrior/chinook, 2 row, 120, dextrine recipe. However, I still might buy a pound of each of the jester and vanguard to try

Last edited:
Back