Whitening on airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somecallmetex

Reaction score
I have a clear s-shaped airlock that I removed from my holiday ale when I was about to bottle it, and I noticed that the bottom of the airlock has gone from clear to white. The beer appears to be perfectly fine (one of the best tasting I've made so far in fact). But the color change in the plastic has me nervous, is this just a normal change that occurs with use, or possible an effect from the spices I added? Should I replace it, or will continued use be fine?

what kind of liquid did you have in the airlock? how long was it in there? can you post a picture?

I don't have a picture right now, I will try to get one up later if nobody knows that answer. The only liquid I put in my airlocks is vodka. The airlock was only used this time for a couple weeks. Previously it may have been used for Apfelwine, in which case it was used for 9 months, but most likely it was only used for a couple batches of beer in the secondary carboy.

Well the "S" shaped air locks are like $1 each so I'd just toss it if you have any question. Those airlocks seem like a ***** to clean anyway. Perhaps you could upgrade to the $1.50 3 piece airlocks.

Back