White, fuzzy sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorGodOfThunder

Reaction score
I have a cider that was pressed last fall. I fermented it immediately afterward and I've been letting it age in glass carboys since. There was no sediment in the carboys after months of sitting in my closet.

I took 5 gallons and added a spice concentrate (I soaked cinnamon, nutmeg, etc in white rum for a few days) and a bit of white sugar. A week or so later I noticed about 1/4" of sediment in the jug. I thought it was undissolved sugar and I didn't bother with it, but today I actually took a close look and it is small bits of fuzzy stuff. It doesn't look like any infection I've seen, and it doesn't smell like anything other than cider.

I racked off as much cider as I could, but I'll have to wait for any stragglers to settle out and rack it again. What might this be? I wish I had taken a pic, but its too late now.

I'm thinking it may be pectin.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Hmmmm, I'm thinking you may be right. The rest of my cider from that initial fermentation has a very thin layer of dense white sediment, but they haven't been agitated at all. I've never had anything settle out this late into the process before. I've never used pectic enzyme, but I guess I ought to start.

If I were using juice from fresh squeezed apples, I would definitely hit it up with some pectic enzyme and let it sit overnight before pitching.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Back