White Claw clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
My daughter is into White Claw and asked it it would be possible for me to make it for her. Up for the challenge I thought why not. I am looking thru the internet and it looks pretty simple. Bring water up to 180, add sugar and ferment. What I am struggling to find is how to bottle it. Do I use the standard sugar drops like I do beer? I don't have an extra keg, nor do I have room in my kegerator so I need to bottle. I might take a ride down to morebeer and see what they have. My thought is to try a kit first as it has all I need. Then, if successful, I can branch out with different flavours and yeast strains of my own. Any input would be appreciated.

starting with a kit might be the best plan.

You can then look at the ingredients, and come up with a similar ingredient list down the road and adjust if needed.

I used a Mangrove Jack kit for the same reasons plus they where on sale for $19. I let it clarify for an extra week as the directions say not to use the included fining agents if bottle conditioning. I didn't use drops just bulk conditioned it like beer/cider. It didn't carbonate. I'm not sure if I should have not waited the extra week or if I should have upped the sugar or added more yeast like when you make root beer. I'm still slowly going through them with a little Lacroix poured on top. The one I had last night actually had a little fizz about 6 months after bottling also some sediment. The taste is fine/typical. Sorry this isn't much help. The brewers friend flavors were added in small quantities to change the flavor a bit from gallon to gallon. Think coconut /pineapple. Mango/pineapple. That worked well. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I am still in the learning stage. I will check out Mangrove Jack and see. Morebeer and Northern brewer have them so a kit is definitely where I am going to start.

I purchased a couple of kits from Williams Brewing. Yes they are pretty simple to make. yeast nutrient is important to the process. I bought extra. Did not use it on the first kit and got a lot of sulfur in the finished product. Second kit I used it and came out great. They provide yeast to be used at bottling.

I purchased a couple of kits from Williams Brewing. Yes they are pretty simple to make. yeast nutrient is important to the process. I bought extra. Did not use it on the first kit and got a lot of sulfur in the finished product. Second kit I used it and came out great. They provide yeast to be used at bottling.
Did these have to be refrigerated after reaching carbonation or safe to keep out like beer and how was the taste?

I refrigerated the same as I would beer. I just kept them at room temp in bottles and put a few in the fridge as needed. The taste was decent, but obviously artificial. I am still enjoying them.

For those who have made it, how did you carb it in the bottle? I am thinking of just using the sugar drops from Morebeer as I use them in beer and they are great. But am curious if they might be too much for seltzer.

The sugar drops should work just fine. I have a second M. J. kit and I'm going to follow rburrelli's suggestion and add a yeast nutrient and extra yeast at bottling. I will also pour a few in plastic bottles to test carbonation along the way. Williams brewery kits tell you to add 1/3 pack of 1118 yeast along with 5 oz sugar and the flavoring pack right before bottling.

Maybe your kits are different but my Williams kit use a whole sachet of EC-1118 at bottling. The carbonation comes out great.

Back