Whirlpooling and siphon tube in electgric boil keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windsors

Reaction score
I am building an electric keggle. It will have a false bottom and right now the siphon tube pickup at the center to collect all of the wort. I can collect the hops on the false bottom, and maybe the hot break, but I am assuming the cold break is fine enough to go through the screen. I would like to have the cleanest wort possible going into the fermenter.

I have never whirlpooled, but like the idea to leave behind the cold break. I see from searching that most who whirlpool have the siphon to the edge of the kettle since the trub and hops collect in the center, but I have not seen that with a Keg, since they all have a convex bottom.

I want the best of all worlds... to be able to pickup at the lowest point to collect all of the wort AND to be be able to whirlpool to leave the cold break behind. I know some say cold break is no big deal since many (including me) use CFC's, but my question is not to have a debate on that issue, but to a figure out the best position for the siphon tube in a keg to facilitate whirlpooling.

I appreciate any advice.

Bill

hmm, good question. I would suggest maybey moving the siphon from the middle to the edge. the amount of wort loss would be very small. s there a posibility of some kind of filtering either inside the keggle or from the oulet of the keg to catch some of the hot/cold bread?

Had a thought... how about a stainless disk with a hole for the siphon to cover the middle area for the trub to collect on ? Could seal up around the siphon with a silicone O ring. The screen would still work around the perimeter.

How gig is the trub cone that normally forms. i usually put ny hop pellets in bags, so I don't have alot of those.

Nobody ?? There are so many innovative and experienced brewers on this board.

I have searched and see some say to slant the pickup to the side, but with all of those who seek the perfect way, I have got to believe that someone has a good way to be able to :

1. Get all of the wort
2. whirlpool to get the cold break
3. Leave behind as much of the trub as possible

What about a simple SS disk as I described above ??

One of the reasons I ask is that my BK keg already has the dip tube in the center, and I see no reason to change it as it is in the best position for efficiency....

Thanks

Latest posts

Back