Whirlpool hop addition in the conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feurhund

Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of two 7 gallon Chronical stainless conicals. I upgraded them to butterfly valves and am excited to have the ability to dump trub, harvest yeast and pull samples.

I am always looking for ways to get two different beers from a single brew day and I have IPAs for the next batches.

My though is to do one mash, one boil using hop extract for bitterness and then while still boiling I would pull 6 gallons into each fermentor adding two different flame out hop schedules and then either waiting to get down to 180F for the last charge or using my pump and plate chiller to get to the optimal whirlpool range.

I can then chill in the freezer and dump the cold break and hops, raise to ferm temp, oxygenate and pitch creating two different IPAs.

I guess the main question is, Should I be concerned adding boiling wort to the fermenters? They are all stainless and silicon gaskets, but is the shock bad for them?

Thank you for any advise

It's definitely not going to hurt them, they're just a funny shaped kettle and you can certainly boil silicone gaskets. I'd say your good to go.

Back