Whirlpool ED22TQXGW00 Side by Side, Kegerator/Fermentation Chamber Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up used Whirlpool ED22TQXGW00 (manufactured around 1998/99) side by side fridge off of craigslist. Before this purchase I used a mini fridge as my kegerator and just set the temperature dial where it needed to be. I've been reading many threads on these side by side fridge setups and have spend many hours looking online for wiring and electrical schematics without any luck. Here are some of the HBT threads I've been reading, but the list could go on and on.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=272478
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=289241
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=416389
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/richard-trevino/ - AHA article too

I have been slowly working on sanding off the rust to repaint the fridge. I'm in the process of building shelves to support the kegs and fermenter(s). I've cleaned the unit very well and started taking out components that are not needed (i.e. ice maker). I have disassembled the control panel (where you adjust the fridge and freezer) and found that the freezer control knob manually controls the damper via a lever. The fridge dial knob actually has a thermostat to control the unit. Picture below of the control unit but can take more if needed to help me out.

With this information I have the following questions.

1. With having only one thermostat in the unit, do I need to purchase two STC-1000 units or only one? It looks like there are only two wires going to the thermostat currently (minus the ground wire) and the other wires go to the two lights that turn on and off when the door is open/closed.

2. Based on the photo, does anyone have any thoughts on how to best wire it up with a STC-1000 or two of them? I would remove the damper and install a 120mm computer fan with a dryer vent to help keep the two sides separate. I am not an electrician, but feel comfortable with wiring up things like this if I can have the help of someone experienced to explain it to me.

3. I assume a reptile heater is a good choice or some other heating device that is not a light for the fermentation chamber side, is that correct? What would you all recommend?

4. Would it be possible to use a Johnson A419 Temperature controllers instead? I have a friend who has two used ones that he is looking to sell. If I could use these controllers, any guidance would be appreciated for I haven't looked into these yet only the STC-1000 units since they seem more popular.

5. Does anyone have any information on a Whirlpool ED22TQXGW00 fridge? I cannot seem to find anything with my hours on Google.

I am sure I will have more questions as I go along, but this is the beginning and I look forward to this DIY (with help from fellow members here) project!

Thanks in advance and cheers!

IMG_8196.jpg
IMG_8133.jpg

Last edited:
I have a side-by-side that I control with one Auber but I use it for lagering/cold conditioning on the freezer side and serving on the fridge side. I keep the freezer aside at 32*F which results in ~40*F on the fridge side. I realize you want to ferment and serve and I am not addressing your application but wanted to give you a data point. With one compressor I am not sure warmer ferm temps will result in cold enough serving temps. Maybe if your ferment on the fridge side you can serve from the freezer side. YMMV.

I have a side-by-side that I control with one Auber but I use it for lagering/cold conditioning on the freezer side and serving on the fridge side. I keep the freezer aside at 32*F which results in ~40*F on the fridge side. I realize you want to ferment and serve and I am not addressing your application but wanted to give you a data point. With one compressor I am not sure warmer ferm temps will result in cold enough serving temps. Maybe if your ferment on the fridge side you can serve from the freezer side. YMMV.

Yeah I thought about just serving from the fridge and use the freezer for hops and extra freezer space but it seems like the freezer stays just below freezing but then goes up. Maybe this is an issue with it being in the garage in Western NY. Then I came across using it for both like I described above and thought that would be great. I don't brew lagers and I already have a chest freezer for food and enough room for hops.

If you can't find the schematic online, check behind the plastic panel on the bottom of the fridge. I have a side by side of similar age that I'm doing the same thing with and that's where my wiring diagram was.

I cleaned out all the dust underneath the unit after I brought it home. No paperwork there. I even doubled checked a few days ago.

Latest posts

Back