Which way to bend a freezer tray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absolutbmc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bought a used mini fridge and had to bend the freezer try. I have seen two ways to bend the tray and wasn't sure of the advantages of bending it the different ways. I see a lot of people that bend the tray against the back wall of the fridge. I also so people bend the tray against the side wall. Which is better and why? I bent mine towards the side, I thought it would be easier and reduced the risk of breaking the main coolant line.

I only have one Keg in the fridge, not sure if that is a reason to bend the tray one way or the other.

Also, the lines through out the tray itself. What happens if you break one of those? How can you tell if you break one?

One last one, how can I tell if I broke a coil or the main coolant line? Would I smell the freon? There is a weird smell right now in my basement, but I think its from my dremel when I was cutting some of the plastic out of the door. But the smell has me questioning if I broke a line. Will the fridge work with a broken line?

Thanks all

It won't get cold if you break a line. I know because I just did the same thing, but heard a hiss and now it doesn't get cold. BUMMER.

You broke a coil or the main line?

Luckily, mine is getting cold. But I wasn't sure if maybe I had a slow leak.

Don't know where it broke, just know it doesn't get cold anymore. I don't think yours would get cold if you had a leak, even a small one. Those things need the vacuum/pressure in the lines to work. But I guess you'll know after a few days if it still works. I'd bet you're good to go. Wishing I were in the same position.

Back