Which sour to add cherries to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I just quatered, bagged, and squeezed 1.75 lbs of nice fresh Washington cherries and put them in the freezer.
Here are the sours I have going right now:

1.043 hefe with Jolly Pumpkin Oro dregs and built up Lower Dens Brett dregs from Stillwater, 22 IBU so I think the lacto might not do its thing

1.062 25 IBU saison, in 3 different fermentors:
1 with Vieille Crooked Stave dregs only
1 with Dupont and infected by CS Veille a little later
1 with 100% Brett Lambicus

Also, would the freezing of cherries completely kill any microbes growing on them? Or is it possible they could wake up after I deep hibernation? (I have them at 5 F)

Freezing is no guarantee to kill all the bugs that might be on the cherries.

Oh, and I'd go with one of the saisons to add the cherries to.

:)

are these small batch sours? adding 1.75#s to a 5gal batch is going to be very mild

What kind of cherries? Sweet or sour?

I'd say go by flavor. Taste the various beers and see which one you think would go well with the cherries. Hard to say based on the limited info.

If you only plan on fruiting one of these three, then pick the one you like the most.

Out of curiosity, why? The cherries will just cover up the subtle complexities of an already well balanced sour. I try to add fruit to my blandest beers, nothing off, but something that needs an extra kick of acidity and complexity.

Out of curiosity, why? The cherries will just cover up the subtle complexities of an already well balanced sour. I try to add fruit to my blandest beers, nothing off, but something that needs an extra kick of acidity and complexity.

That's what I was thinking

Back