Which is up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantastical

Reaction score
Just because I am extremely paranoid and couldn't find a crystal clear example picture on the internet...

Which side of the rhizome is the part that points up? The left side of the rhizomes in the picture right?

Thanks!

100_6971.jpg

It doesn't really matter. I know there's a ton of information telling your to plant it certain ways, but in the end...the plant will find the sun.

I've been growing hops for years now, and I've planted them both horizontally and vertically. One time, I just dug a hole and threw it in. Kicked some dirt over it, and wouldn't you know it? It still grew!

Just try to point the white shoots coming out of it toward the top. It'll make less work for them.

The plant will find the sun. I recently inherited a four year old Willamette. I own a two year old. The four year old did not break ground and I kept wondering why. Healthy strong plant, came from an experience grower and given to an experienced grower. My younger weaker plant was doing great.

I dug it up and I put it in the ground upside down. There were maybe 50 maybe even 80 tiny bines on the bottom struggling to grow down, veer left at Albuquerque, then grow 'up'. I flipped the entire crown around and its fine. And truth is if I hadn't done that- it would still be fine.

+1 to finding the surface on their own.
Unless you plant waaaaaaaaay too deep, they'll find the surface. They've grown that way for centuries so I doubt they'd suddenly go the wrong way or be unable to find the surface.
I think people say to put the white shoots at the top just to slightly help them along... No need to worry.

Back