Which hops pair/combine well with el dorado?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a fair amount of threads about using el dorado hops in a various recipes (IPA, IIPA, APA, etc) but I couldn't find a unified thread discussing how the beers turned out and what other hops play well together with the el dorado.

I'd like to brew a beer featuring some el dorado to accentuate the jolly rancher flavor described, without being over the top.

The one thought I do have about the best way to use the el dorado hops is majority in extended hop stand and perhaps some used for dry hopping as well. I don't want to self pollute the thread with my own thoughts about pairing with other hops before hearing from others who have used them before and can offer some opinions based on their experience with El Dorado.

Thanks

TD

I will be brewing a SMaSH today using El Dorado. My plan is to use Magnum for bittering and then 10, 0, and dry hops of El Dorado. I'm keeping IBU's at 40 for this one in an attempt my wife may like it.
Also using Golden Promise as the grain bill.

I did an El Dorado smash a couple of weeks ago but waiting for room before the dry hop and kegging.

I have done an Amarillo and El Dorado combo in an IPA and didn't care for it. Others liked it though. My brother in law liked it so much that he requested that I make a keg for his wedding. So I did last weekend. I call it Fake Wedding IPA because they're already married but don't want people to know it. I know I know; it's ridiculous but if you knew my sister in law you would understand.

Anyway if I tap that smash I'll try to report back.

I've never made an all el dorado beer. They seem to combine well with just about any newer fruity flavored hop. They definitely take over the character if you combine them with less assertive ones.

Wonder how El Dorado would pair with Nelson.

I'm doing an IIPA this weekend with copious amounts of Nelson and Citra. However, I had originally planned to include El Dorado as well but decided to drop them. I think they would pair fantastically with citra and nelson, but I just decided to save the el dorado for something else. Probably @m00ps jolly rancher IPA.

El Dorado and Columbus go together well. The dank, earthy qualities from the Columbus hops blend with the fruity, candy like flavors from the El Dorado hops.

El Dorado and Columbus go together well. The dank, earthy qualities from the Columbus hops blend with the fruity, candy like flavors from the El Dorado hops.

Thank You!
So that we are on the same page here, and for others following along...

Neutral Bittering hops probably don't matter much in the "flavor" of the beer...

What I'm after is a list of complimentary hops that are flavor/aroma/steep/dry hops (not bittering hops) with El Dorado.

So far we have a few contenders in the pipeline (which is GREAT! - update here when it done so we can all benefit! There are at least a dozen threads about recipe formulation and little regarding multi-hop beers that have the results posted).

So far the specific hops that are complimentary for flavor/aroma are:
I make an assumption that is for an APA/IPA/IIPA beer here...
The # in the parentheses is the number of responders for this unofficial ""survey post/thread"/ I'll try to keep this updated as an edit for post #1 going forward if I can manage.

(1)CTZ(Columbus) - The dank, earthy qualities from the Columbus hops blend with the fruity, candy like flavors from the El Dorado hops.

(1)Amarillo - Mixed results - some liked and some disliked, but no tasting notes.

Keep em' coming folks!

I brewed my small batch El Dorado SMaSH yesterday. Never used El Dorado before but was intrigued by the jolly rancher aroma/flavor. When I opened the package (from Farmhouse Brewing) I didn't get any of that jolly rancher aroma that people spoke about. It had more of a citrusy aroma, nothing like citra but it was prevalent.
Oh well, hopefully it turns out good.
Need to score some Nelson and give that one a try.

Last year I made beer for my daughter's wedding and tried a bunch of different hops with the same recipe. 3# two row, 2# wheat, and 1# rye, 3.5%, around 25 IBU. Used Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, Columbus, and El Dorado, in each batch, let friends and family try them, and El Dorado came out the winner. I like it by itself.

Alright, I have an update on my El Dorado smash.

I used 11lbs of 2 row with .5oz 60, 1oz at 10, 5, and KO. 1.5 oz dry hop for 6 days.

When I kegged it, I thought it smelled like plastic. Like it made the plastic of bucket stronger. It made me wonder about how it would taste after force carb. I usually don't taste my beers before I carb.

Anyway it tastes and smells nothing like what I smelled the day I kegged. It has a very pleasant aroma and flavor. Not too strong.

I see how people describe it as jolly rancher. It does have a slight sweet taste but it's not strong. It's kind of mango and pineapple but it's subtle.

This is day one of the tapped keg and I'm sure it'll change. A buddy was over and he really enjoyed it too.

So far this is a brew that is good enough to brew again.

Over a year later.
Any updates on this?
I've seen El Dorado and Mosaic being received well in some commercial beers that I haven't actually tried myself. With a bit of Columbus or other dank hops added to keep it from becoming a fruit salad.

Dawn of the Red for example.

:tank:

El Dorado pairs well with Motueka and other NZ hops, suck as Riwaka. It does well cith Citra and Amarillo, but I did not brew in this combination. It goes well with Motueka and Riwaka, that is for sure.

Nelson could also be an option, but Nelson is just good on its own.

I will be brewing a SMaSH today using El Dorado. My plan is to use Magnum for bittering and then 10, 0, and dry hops of El Dorado. I'm keeping IBU's at 40 for this one in an attempt my wife may like it.
Also using Golden Promise as the grain bill.
how did it go?

I made a NEIPA w/ Centennial, Azacca and El Dorado. It came out great! Very citrusy and pineapple flavored. I just threw dry hopped a Wheat w/ El Dorado. I'll update once I try it.

Its all good! I've been on a bit of a homebrewing hiatus. Haven't brewed much since I built my indoor electric HERMS system.. Kinda sad. Also nowadays so many awesome commercial brews to be had, so the urge for great beer is easily satisfied. Last time I brewed was probably 5-6 batches in 2015...

This is what I was going to post as well. I did an all El dorado pale ale and it needed something to offset the el dorado. I did another with columbus and it was excellent.

Has anyone tried El Dorado with Barbe Rouge? I am planning a Red IPA and I am trying to compliment the berry and strawberry notes or Barbe Rouge with a balanced bittering hop (El Dorado) that also throws notes of fruit and hard candy:

1oz El Dorado 30 min @ 36 IBU
1oz Barbe Rouge 15 min @ 13 IBU
2oz Barbe Rouge 5 min @ 10 IBU
2oz Barbe Rouge 2 min @ 4.5 IBU
3oz Barbe Rouge Dry

SG 1.067
SRM 17

This is a variant on Jamil's "hop-bursted" Evil Twin.

Barbe Rouge Hops – Yakima Valley Hops

Barbe Rouge is a new and exciting hop variety developed in the legendary growing region of Alsace, France. Barbe Rouge is a bright and delicate aroma hop that offers ripe red fruit flavors of currant, strawberry, and raspberry. It also offers zesty citrus aromas of oranges and limes while some people describe a unique kumquat character. Barbe Rouge is well suited for American IPAs, NEIPAs, and pale ales while still being delicate enough to use in a modern twist on a classic pilsner.

Alpha Acid: 7 - 10%
Total Oil 1.1-1.6ml/100g
Myrcene 35-52 %
Humulene 15-25 %
Humulene / Caryophyllene 2.5-2-8
Linalool 4-5mg/100g
Farnesene 2.5-3.5 mg/100g
Geraniol 10 - 15mg / 100g

I just kegged one with Eldorado as the bittering hop and flame out and +10, with Galaxy, Vic secret,and Ella at 10 , flame out and +10.
The hydro sample was fantastic,it should be on tap in a week or so.

A combo that I have grown to like is El Dorado + Azacca. I have also used Lemondrop in that mix with good luck (though since YVH does not sell Lemondrop, I often do not have it around). My general inspiration was a very nice NEIPA that listed El Dorado + Azacca + Lemon Drop on the label. I figured it would be an interesting combo that did not involve Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Simcoe, etc. I also like that El Dorado and Azacca are fairly cheap hops.

After being out of them for the past year, I just got a lb of Azacca from my AHA renewal and a lb of 2020 El Dorado from the recent YVH sales.

Back