Which glass carboys break the most?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubiecat

Reaction score
I am curious if the broken glass carboys are the 6.5, 6 or 5 gallon variety?
I figure the 6.5 would be the most likely to break since they are slick on the side and seem to be thin. The 5 gallon ones that seem to be a bit thicker and have ridges on the side.

Note: this is NOT a glass carboy bashing thread. I just want to know which break the most.

The glass ones tend to break when subjected to stress.......

I guess purely from a weight/bulk standpoint, the bigger might go slightly more often.

I broke a 5 gallon by letting it slip out of my hands and drop about four inches to a concrete floor. Completely my stupidity, got in a hurry.

At least it was empty.

I swear the carboy I dropped on the edge of the bathtub while cleaning was faulty which is why it exploded yeast and sludge everywhere...
That said I have a friend who swears he threw a chipped one out of a second story window into a big empty dumpster and it just made a huge noise when it landed but didn't break further.

I swear the carboy I dropped on the edge of the bathtub while cleaning was faulty which is why it exploded yeast and sludge everywhere...
That said I have a friend who swears he threw a chipped one out of a second story window into a big empty dumpster and it just made a huge noise when it landed but didn't break further.

I'm need to see photos. No freaking way it survived that. HAH! :drunk:

Back