Which BYO Fat Tire Clone is more accurate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Fat Tire Clone is the more accurate?

• March/April 2010 BYO Issue Clone

• December 2010 BYO Issue Clone

• Neither, mine is better...

• Who the fv<k cares? Fat Tire is crap beer.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looks like I will try the December version for my next batch.

I might be trying this, too. I've done Northern Brewer's Phat Tyre, and it was close. The hops didn't quite seen right to me, though. And it was malty, but not quite the right blend of biscuit and crystal.

Thanks for bumping this thread up. I've looked for Fat Tire clone recipes before, but I must've missed this thread in my searches.

I'm brewing yours Permo in a few minutes. But with the ingredients that I can find here in Argentina.

National malts, Safale US-05 and Fuggles 5,5%

I've been trying to figure out the recipe for Fat Tire

The website claims their grain bill is Pale, Munich, C-80 and Victory. And the hops used are Nugget, Willamette and Golding

So I'm planning on going for the following recipe

8.5# American 2-row
1# Munich 10L
0.75# Victory
0.5# Caramel 80

The recipe claims the hops used are Nugget, Willamette and Goldings so I'm gonna try the following hop schedule.

0.3 oz Nugget 60 mins
0.5 oz Goldings 10 mins
0.5 oz Willamette 10 mins
0.5 oz Goldings 5 mins
0.5 oz Willamette 5 mins

IBU about 22
SRM about 9-10
5.1% ABV

I think part of that legendary biscuit character comes from the grain bill, but I suspect the yeast they use somehow enhances that quality. I'm gonna try Wyeast 1272 my first go at it.

Haven't brewed it yet. I just bought a kegging system and I only have one keg which is currently holding a pilsner. I have to wait a bit to finish it before I can start on the next beer. The wife has also been talking about wanting an ESB so I may push the fat tire clone a bit further. Oh the misery.... lol

I've been trying to figure out the recipe for Fat Tire

The website claims their grain bill is Pale, Munich, C-80 and Victory. And the hops used are Nugget, Willamette and Golding

So I'm planning on going for the following recipe

8.5# American 2-row
1# Munich 10L
0.75# Victory
0.5# Caramel 80

The recipe claims the hops used are Nugget, Willamette and Goldings so I'm gonna try the following hop schedule.

0.3 oz Nugget 60 mins
0.5 oz Goldings 10 mins
0.5 oz Willamette 10 mins
0.5 oz Goldings 5 mins
0.5 oz Willamette 5 mins

IBU about 22
SRM about 9-10
5.1% ABV

I think part of that legendary biscuit character comes from the grain bill, but I suspect the yeast they use somehow enhances that quality. I'm gonna try Wyeast 1272 my first go at it.

Interesting. I am going to try the following here in the next few weeks and would like some thoughts on it -- looks like mine is somewhat close to yours:

7.5 lb 2-row
1.5 lb Munich
1.0 lb Victory
10 oz Crystal 80
0.4 oz Nuggett (60)
0.2 oz Goldings (20)
0.4 oz Willamette (flame out)
Safale US-05

IBU 21.9
SRM 11.6
5.6% ABV

Can't wait to brew it!

Finally polished off the pilsner last week. I want to brew this beer next this weekend but the weather is just garbage. But I think I will try it exactly as is with perhaps some minor adjustments to hops depending on available varieties and what AA content they have. I can't wait to brew this and report back.

I see this is an old poll and my choice is not an option.

New Belgium beers have only recently become available here. I tried the Fat Tire first because I had heard a lot of good things about it. I thought it was good, but nothing special. I might use one of the recipes as a base for creating something but I would not waste my time trying to recreate it.

I have liked a couple of their other beers much more than the FT. But even those, IMO were nothing special.

First time I ever brewed beer was a BYO place in freehold NJ. They had me doing a big kettle of a partial mash that yielded 6 cases of bottles. I did a fat tire clone from their recipe book, and it was very good. Now that I can get fat tire, it's not as good as the original in Colorado, and honestly not as good as the freehold partial mash clone I made. Something has gotten lost in the scaleup, I'm afraid. That being said, like their Ranger IPA. Look that place up and call them, they are good folks and will share...if they are still in business.

Well it's been a year since I've been thinking about brewing this fat tire clone and I still haven't gotten around to it :smack:

I bought some fat tire recently for the first time in 2-3 years and got down to sampling it and I came off a bit surprised. I distinctly got a Belgian character out of it I had never picked up before. Now I don't know if they changed their recipe a bit recently or I simply never tasted fat tire carefully enough to pick up Belgian notes, but I'm now convinced a Belgian yeast is the way to go on this beer.

I'm gonna try brewing it in the next month or so with Wyeast 1214 fermented at the bottom of its range just to get a subtle Belgian character.

First time I ever brewed beer was a BYO place in freehold NJ. They had me doing a big kettle of a partial mash that yielded 6 cases of bottles. I did a fat tire clone from their recipe book, and it was very good. Now that I can get fat tire, it's not as good as the original in Colorado, and honestly not as good as the freehold partial mash clone I made. Something has gotten lost in the scaleup, I'm afraid. That being said, like their Ranger IPA. Look that place up and call them, they are good folks and will share...if they are still in business.

TommyDee, I was reading up on a Fat Tire clone and saw your post. You said that you did your first brew at a BYO place in Freehold NJ. I also did my first batch of beer there, The Brewers Apprentice. I never heard of BYO before this place and thought it was awesome. If you haven't already heard, they are out of business now. What a shame!

Old thread but just brewed recipe number 2. My color is a lot darker but the flavor is spot on. Was able to find and older case of the original recipe to compare. Mine isn’t as carbed as the real thing and to me actually improves the flavor. The malt flavor comes through a bit better

Attachments

• IMG_2945.jpeg
    IMG_2945.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back