Where was Randy Moss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
In this article "Top 10 Goats for Pats":
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/wcStory?contentId=6524422&storyNumber=1&MSNHPHCP&GT1=10937

Randy Moss's name is inexplicably missing from the list. I'm really glad that the Packers did not sign him for this season. For a guy who has such an amazing amount of god-given ability he sure has a knack for not showing up for the big games.

Remember his rookie season when he ran by almost everyone's secondarys during the regular season and made Pro Bowl corners and safetys look like Pop Warner players? No one gave Atlanta a chance that year. Minnesota was considered a shoo-in to make it the the Super Bowl. Yet, where was Randy Moss that day? He claimed he had pulled stomach muscles, or something like that, and was a non-factor in the Vikings' upset loss to the Falcons.

I don't want to take anything away from NY yesterday, as they won the game-- New England didn't lose the game, but were beaten by a better team. Yet, where was Moss? Oh, he had, what, 6 catches for 60-some yards, I think? Wouldn't yesterday have beent the day, though, for him to step forward and take control of a game? Apparently not. What a hoser.

He had either 1 or 0 catches in the first half, IIRC.

I had to laugh about his TD catch. It was a flashback to his early career success when DBs would just inexplicably fall down or jump way too early when the ball arrived.

Interesting. I thought Moss did a decent job, figure he was probably double or triple teamed most of the day which left others open to do what needed to be done. I saw a few throws that were at least 3' beyond his reach. The guy can only do so much.

I believe both teams played well but the Giants were able to make the plays when they were needed most.

mr x said:
He made a nice move for the go ahead touchdown. Could have done worse.

Ah, please---the guy covering him (name escapes me) handed that sh*t to him on a silver platter. He was screwed when he started backpedaling.

Randy Moss "didn't show up" because the Giants defensive linemen were in Brady's grill all day. Props to them, and it shows that the Patriots offensive line was a little bit over-rated (something I've been worried about). They aren't all that big, and they've also tended to not do terribly well against speed rushers. Brady never had a chance to get the ball downfield except on a few occassions, and there were a couple of times that Brady got hit on deep passes just as he threw, so the ball didn't have quite enough mustard on it. There was one occassion I remember in particular when Moss had a couple guys beaten, but Brady wasn't able to get enough on it so he had to hold up and the defenders were able to recover. There was another pass in the end zone that was completely out of his reach.

So, blame the Giant's excellent defensive line for Moss' (and Brady's) general ineffectiveness. IMHO, they deserve all the credit for that win, they sure as hell earned it.

On his TD, the defender fell on his ass because of the move that Moss put on him coming off the line, he pretty much broke his ankles.

the_bird said:
On his TD, the defender fell on his ass because of the move that Moss put on him coming off the line, he pretty much broke his ankles.
Amen. Looked exactly like Plexico's TD.

I don't feel too bad about this loss, because the Giants really earned it. It wasn't a matter of the Pats not showing up to play, and the areas that I *was* most worried about (mostly on the defensive end) were pretty much non-issues.

We got beaten, I think, because their defensive line was better than our offensive line. When that happens, there's not much to say, that's what football's all about.

I saw Moss get overthrown about 5 or 6 times. Those would have been worth the extra yardage and stats that would have kept this thread from being made. Brady's fault, plain and simple. Besides the amazing play with Eli breaking the tackle, the fact that Moss was consistently overthrown was what stood out most in my mind during the game.

mr x said:
Amen. Looked exactly like Plexico's TD.

Yeah, I can't remember which corner it was, but he got completely faked out.

The only thing about the game that kinda sticks in my craw is going for it on 4th down instead of trying the 48 yard FG. I don't understand why Belichick has so little faith in Gostkowski... but he's a smarter man than I.

NitrouStang96 said:
I saw Moss get overthrown about 5 or 6 times. Those would have been worth the extra yardage and stats that would have kept this thread from being made. Brady's fault, plain and simple. Besides the amazing play with Eli breaking the tackle, the fact that Moss was consistently overthrown was what stood out most in my mind during the game.

Brady was just off, which I think comes back to his being hit. You don't give Brady time in the pocket, you take away his greatest strength - the ability to check down four or five receivers and find the open one. Instead, he was either dinking-and-dunking to Welker (who would have been my MVP, has they won), or heaving them in Moss' direction. He just wasn't comfortable in the pocket.

Oh, and if *I*, as a Patriots fan, have been quiet this morning, I've been in meetings since 8:00. I'm going to go update my sig now... ;)

the_bird said:
Yeah, I can't remember which corner it was, but he got completely faked out.

The only thing about the game that kinda sticks in my craw is going for it on 4th down instead of trying the 48 yard FG. I don't understand why Belichick has so little faith in Gostkowski... but he's a smarter man than I.

But even if you don't have that much faith in your kicker, you're talking about taking the gamble for all of, what, 8 yards? You hand to to them at the 39 instead of the 31? That's just retarded. You take that 10 times out of 10. And if for some stupid reason you don't take it, well, you sure as sh*t don't lob a hail mary at your third stringer...yeah, Belicheck blew it big time right there.

As the_bird has basically stated. The Giants defense won that game. They knocked down Brady over 10 times and sacked him 5. Brady was visibly off his game with several over and under thrown passes.

As much as I'm not a fan of Eli Manning, I have to hand it to the kid. Near the end of the game when he somehow shrugged off 4 NE defenders and completed a 20+ yd. pass I was amazed. Play of the game, hands down.

the_bird said:
Brady was just off, which I think comes back to his being hit. You don't give Brady time in the pocket, you take away his greatest strength - the ability to check down four or five receivers and find the open one. Instead, he was either dinking-and-dunking to Welker (who would have been my MVP, has they won), or heaving them in Moss' direction. He just wasn't comfortable in the pocket.

That's exactly it. Brady hadn't been knocked around like that all season. Even when he wasn't getting hit, be had to hurry to get the ball out of there. It was like he was lost.

The Giants were able to consistently bring pressure with their front 4 and they blizted very, *very* well (and often).

As for the Moss TD... even if he did break the DB's ankles in getting open for that TD, someone should have broken his ankles for that lameazz celebration he did after he caught it. What was that supposed to be anyway? Opening a showercurtain? Opening the gates of defeat? :D

I guess I'm pretty much a bottom line guy. Sure Brady was pressured for much of the game, and sure he over-threw some passes, but in the end, except for the one TD where the defender fell down, what did he do?

Guys like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin would show up and make big plays in the big games. Moss does not.

McCall St. Brewer said:
I guess I'm pretty much a bottom line guy. Sure Brady was pressured for much of the game, and sure he over-threw some passes, but in the end, except for the one TD where the defender fell down, what did he do?

Guys like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin would show up and make big plays in the big games. Moss does not.

I do have to agree with this. I've bled purple since I was a wee lad and have seen Moss and his "I'll play when I feel like it" attitude too many times.

If memory serves, Moss had a completion across the middle and jumped up in the fetal position. That's where Falk and Welker earn their bread & butter.

IMO, Moss is always thinking about Moss.

shunoshi said:
I do have to agree with this. I've bled purple since I was a wee lad and have seen Moss and his "I'll play when I feel like it" attitude too many times.

What's he supposed to do? I know it looks like it sometimes, but he DOESN'T have Go-Go-Gadget arms. All the passes in his direction that were catchable, he caught.

I saw him go down on that catch across the middle.... yeah, that was very un-Welker like, but he's certainly not the only WR in the league who was like that. Used to bug the sh*t out of me watching the Rams play, Issac Bruce and all of those guys did the same thing, they'd fall to the ground before getting hit. Hell, how many passes have we seen TO drop (just as one example of another "big time" receiver) over the middle because he was about to be hammered? Moss ain't built like TO, either.

He'll be thinking about Moss this offseason too. He's a free agent. If the Pats want a chance to repeat they're going to have to pay a lot of money to do it with him on the team.

Unlike Brady, I don't think that Moss is capable of taking a below market offer to win a championship but we'll see in a few months.

olllllo said:

Bingo. There have been several big-time sporting events of late where things just look...scripted...almost. Points shaving? Is that still around? Not that I have any "evidence" or anything, but sometimes I wonder...

McCall St. Brewer said:
but in the end, except for the one TD where the defender fell down, what did he do?
So you see a difference between the way Moss and Burress played?

'Through the first 59:25 of the game, Burress had only one catch for 14 yards and was a non-factor.'

They both scored go ahead touchdowns in the final minutes of the Superbowl on identical plays. There ain't much difference on defence between falling down and being left in the dust. Both receivers earned those TDs. I'm no Moss or Pats fan, but I'll be fair.

ohiobrewtus said:
Unlike Brady, I don't think that Moss is capable of taking a below market offer to win a championship but we'll see in a few months.

:confused:

You know that he re-structured his contract so that he'd only earn like $3M this year, right (plus some incentive money, don't know how much)? He left a LOT of money on the table when he went to the Pats.

Bedlam said:
Bingo. There have been several big-time sporting events of late where things just look...scripted...almost. Points shaving? Is that still around? Not that I have any "evidence" or anything, but sometimes I wonder...

Be fair. This isn't the NBA... ;)

mr x said:
So you see a difference between the way Moss and Burress played?

'Through the first 59:25 of the game, Burress had only one catch for 14 yards and was a non-factor.'

They both scored go ahead touchdowns in the final minutes of the Superbowl on identical plays. There ain't much difference on defence between falling down and being left in the dust. Both receivers earned those TDs. I'm no Moss or Pats fan, but I'll be fair.

I wasn't aware that we had to judge his performance relative to the performance of his counterpart on the opposing team...

Long and the short of it is, if the roles were reversed and Moss had made the game-winning catch, then nobody'd be talking about his performance the rest of the game---and we'd be ragging on Plaxico right now.

Evan! said:
I wasn't aware that we had to judge his performance relative to the performance of his counterpart on the opposing team...

Long and the short of it is, if the roles were reversed and Moss had made the game-winning catch, then nobody'd be talking about his performance the rest of the game---and we'd be ragging on Plaxico right now.

Well, yeah. It's not really fair to rag on Moss without ragging on Plaxico at the same time. If you're saying that Moss is a bum, then, since Plaxico's game was, for all intents and purposes, IDENTICAL to Moss', then you have to say that Plaxico was a bum as well. Neither did anything of note for most of the game, both caught a late, potentially game-winning TD on a great individual play.

Arguing about the WRs in this game is pointless, though - it was won by the Giants on the defensive line. We never got Maroney on track, and Brady never had time to throw. Wouldn't have mattered WHO the wideouts were, could have been Jerry Rice in his prime and he wouldn't have done much better. You can't catch an uncatchable ball, and you can't catch a pass the QB doesn't have time to throw.

I'm looking at the point of view of the OP wondering why Moss wasn't on the Goat list. He didn't look any worse to me than his counterpart. That makes him a 'goat'?

I don't agree with most of the "goats" list. Calling someone a "goat" implies that they did something really stupid, or just made a bad play. Jarvis couldn't pull Manning down. Tyree made a great catch over Harrison. Those weren't really instances of the Pats player making a BAD play, per se, but of the Giants player making a GREAT play. Give the G-men props for playing a helluva game, they earned this. The only real f*ck-up that I saw was going for it on 4th down, and I'm not sure you can pin the loss on that (50/50 at best that Gostkowski hits the FG). Hobbs getting beat for that TD hurt, but Plax is one of the best wideouts in the league (if he doesn't get beat, Manning might just throw that one up as a jump ball and Plax gets it anyway).

the_bird said:
What's he supposed to do? I know it looks like it sometimes, but he DOESN'T have Go-Go-Gadget arms. All the passes in his direction that were catchable, he caught.

Yeah, there wasn't much he could do with Brady's passing performance to him. There weren't that many catchable balls thrown his way. I'm just a Vikes fan venting my hatred of Moss and knowing that at times (especially in some big games) he just doesn't try.

No disrespect to the Pats fans out there, but the only reason I watched any part of the game was to cheer against Moss. He was a punk thug when he was here in Minnesota, he'll be a punk thug where ever he goes. The only thing getting in the way of Randy Moss is his engorged ego. He's got great talent that is for sure. Maybe getting "almost there" this year will wise him up a bit. I'd love to see him perform like we know he can, but with the right attitude. BTW if he was playing for NY I would have been cheering for the Pats. (well almost... not really big on the Pats, but it would have been neat to see them have a perfect year)

olllllo said:
If memory serves, Moss had a completion across the middle and jumped up in the fetal position. That's where Falk and Welker earn their bread & butter.

Yup. I remember that catch and thinking to myself, "typical Moss". Rather than push it and try to make the extra effort, but also risk getting hit hard, he'll go to the ground.

Now early in the season, OK, you don't want to get hurt, but the Superbowl with everything on the line. Cmon.

Moss didn't loose the game - the Pats D lost the game. It was a great move by Manning but that should have been a sack. Thats what these guys get the big bucks for. It was a great move and a great moment but they should have held on.

Fish said:
Moss didn't loose the game - the Pats D lost the game. It was a great move by Manning but that should have been a sack. Thats what these guys get the big bucks for. It was a great move and a great moment but they should have held on.

I think the offensive line is to blame much more than the defense...

Ah, it never gets old...
not-tagged-smiley-10208.gif

[YOUTUBE]e5BWzoyzVbc[/YOUTUBE]

Back