Where The Carb Go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasSchlebach

Reaction score
Its been 3 weeks since I bottled my first batch of home brew. I cracked one open last week at the 14 day marker and it was pretty good, not amazing, but good. It gives me the motivation to make something better. The carbonation was pretty good, bottle had a loud PSST noise when opened. Now yesterday when I opened one up, the noise I was familiar with was very faint and the when I poured the beer it was practically flat!

Any ideas on what's going???

Could be that the bottles are carbonated differently, cap leaked, or similar.

B

EDIT: Sorry, what I meant by different is that sometimes they just condition and carbonate at different levels for explicable or unexplicable reasons - variations in sugar, yeast and temp in each specific bottle.

A couple possibilities (there are actually more, but two of the more common ones):

1) uneven priming sugar between bottles. how did you add the priming sugar?
2) different carbonation temps can result in different rates of carbonation. were all bottles stored at the same temp? Even something like if some of the bottles were against an exterior wall they may have been at a different temperature than the ones that weren't.

I mixed my primer into my bottling bucket with the whole batch so it should've been pretty evenly distributed. I keep all the bottles in old cardboard cases in the garage, they weren't next to anything that could've given off temperature variances.

I mixed my primer into my bottling bucket with the whole batch so it should've been pretty evenly distributed. I keep all the bottles in old cardboard cases in the garage, they weren't next to anything that could've given off temperature variances.

Last thing on temp diffs, was one stored on the floor vs not? Cold floors can slow carbonation as well.

When you mixed, how did you mix? Priming sugar into bucket and then rack on top of it?

Anyways, there's a very real possibility that nothing is "wrong" at all, and one just carbed faster than the other. Go with that option unless you get evidence to the contrary after another week or two.

discnjh said:
Last thing on temp diffs, was one stored on the floor vs not? Cold floors can slow carbonation as well.

When you mixed, how did you mix? Priming sugar into bucket and then rack on top of it?

Anyways, there's a very real possibility that nothing is "wrong" at all, and one just carbed faster than the other. Go with that option unless you get evidence to the contrary after another week or two.

I didn't even realize it till now but I did have one box stacked on top of another one while the rest were on directly on the floor. I think this may answer my problem.

And yes I poured sugar into bucket then racked onto it.

Back