where should i start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFitch

Reaction score
Hi guys,
i found this forum while I was Google'ing home brewing. Ive been kicking around the idea of making my own home brew. for some reason, the idea of having bottles of my own beer just seems cool to me, but where do i start? Ive heard people say some bad things about the mr. beer, but it seems like thats where a lot of people on here started. do you think it would be better to buy something like that, or a "starter" kit thats a little more advanced then the Mr. Beer?

any advice you guys can give would be great.

It depends on your budget. If you want to give it a try with a minimal investment, MrBeer is not a bad way to go. I used it for exactly one kit, then started doing recipes I found here, divided in half. By batch #5 I had my 5-gallon setup in place, and have used that ever since.

Others just buy the gear and start right in with full batches. Suit yourself.

But really, your first investment should be a book like How To Brew by Palmer.

I agree with Frazier. It really comes down to what you want to do. An old version of How To Brew is online for free. Also, look at the sticky's at the top of this forum. There is stuff about Mr. Beer and other good starter info.

I had the budget and wanted to start doing 5 gallon batches. Even after buying a "starter kit" from a homebrew shop I wish I would have done a few things differently.

Read up and when you have more specific questions the people on this site will be happy to help.

Where should you start? Very first thing initially is read How to Brew by John Palmer; the entire thing (you can find the older edition free here.) Then proceed to read every book or publication you can find about learning how to brew. Charlie Papazians Complete Joy of Homebrewing is a bit outdated but loaded with useful information. Brewmasters Bible by Stephen Snyder is also a good book.

That's basically the best thing to do before you actually dive in: read, read, read!!! I still read just about anything I can find that will make me a better brewer and clue me in to new techniques and ingredients.

personally i'd skip the mr. beer kit and go to your local homebrewing shop (if there is one) and look at their beginner equipment kits. It should be something like this: http://morebeer.com/search/103481///Brewing_Equipment_Checklist (kit 1 is sufficient and you can add bits and pieces as you feel the need). They should have ingredient kits like this also: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18335/102178/Irish_Red_Ale_-_Extract_Beer_Kit. THese kits usually come with instructions. Read Palmers sections on your first brew and compare his text with the directions in the kit. Post any discrepancies here for clarification.

and remember, the first brew is nerve racking and that the yeast want to make beer so it really is hard to totally screw it up.

Oh yeah, take a hydrometer reading after cooling your wort so you know what your starting gravity is, and your airlock is not a fermentation gauge (but really is fun to watch bubble), the hydrometer is.:mug:

Have fun!

Hi! As a new brewer myself, I'd highly recommend one of hte starter kits from either your local homebrew supply (LHBS) shop or one of the online stores. Be sure to price compare.

A kit like this would be perfect: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=11357

You are going to start off making Extract beers like this list: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_469

And lastly, as was suggested above...go out today and buy two books and start reading them today...before you get your kit and first brew. Both books are awesome and will give you a ton of tips, pointers and how to's. They are a must!:
1.) How to Brew - John Palmer
2.) Complete Joy of Homebrewing: Charlie Papazian

Let us know when you get your kit and first brew!

thanks for the info guys. looks like i got some reading to do. :D

Back