Where is the 5 gallon mark on carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fill a plastic ale pail to the 5 gallon mark and dump or siphon it into your carboy.......... From what I've seen not all glass carboys are the exact same dimensions....

I filled mine 1/2 gal at a time, masked off the glass with masking tape, then acid etched the glass with volume marks.

I marked it. I just wanted to see if it was where everyone else has it. I don't know how accurate my measurements are. Mine is marked right at when the bottle starts to curve in.

I marked it. I just wanted to see if it was where everyone else has it. I don't know how accurate my measurements are. Mine is marked right at when the bottle starts to curve in.

that is typically the right place, and you can usually fit another galon in after that.

Best way to get accurate marks is to add exact premeasured amounts, and mark it yourself. I marked all my buckets myself also, those marks they paint on in the factory are typically wrong by upto .75galons

Im going to state the obvious here. You just don't know what people might try. NEVER mark a carboy with a glass cutter.....Unless you want to own a nice shiny new Darwin Award. ;)

It's gonna depend on the bottle...they aren't all identical. Best way is to measure out 5 gallons of water in a milk jug, or in a measuring cup, or whatever. If you want to be really sure, weigh the carboy before adding water, then add water (at room temperature), until the scale reads (weight of carboy + [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=qrv&q=5+gallons+*+998.207+kilograms%2Fmeter^3+in+lbs&aq=f&oq=&aqi="]41.7 lbs[/ame])

I've got 4 and three are near the same - the fourth - not even close.
Different diameters. For three of mine, the 5-gallon mark is half way up the flat spot AFTER the curve - very high! My other one - at the curve.

so - measure, measure.

here is the link to one way to do it - Marking your Carboy and it works well.

+1
This is by far the most accurate method unless you have access to precision measuring equipment.

It works. I marked mine each time prior to brewing by filling them with 2 2.5 gallon jugs of spring water that I was using for the beer. A few extra gallons will help mark up higher measurements.

Back