where did this water come from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottomofthebarrel

Reaction score
I just got a 7.0 cubic foot freezer so I can brew again.
(for reference, I used to ferment inside of a wine chiller, but I think it burned out)
anyway, today I checked on them and I saw some water had accumulated on the stopper, this was the best picture I could get.
so, where did this water come from?

also, there is a weird smell when I stick my head in there, but only in certain spots, is this related to the beer giving off co2?

20140210_180421.jpg

Could it be from your airlock? If it is bubbling away on a vigorous fermentation- the bubbles will sometimes spill out and accumulate in the stopper. Smell..... is it a new freezer? If so- the tasty smell of the fermentation process.

I ferment in mini fridges and I have to put a piece of foil or a cup over the top of the airlock so that condensate from the coil (which sits right above the airlock at the top of the fridge) doesn't fill up my stopper. The first time I used the fridges I ended up with water in both stoppers.
The blow off tube you are using would form a great bridge for any condensate from whatever surface it touches above your carboy. Could that be it?

I've had two primaries going at the same time (I did two brews in two days). On the third day (day three of the first batch and day two of the second batch) I opened my freezer-turned-ferm chamber and stuck my head in there to see what the airlocks were doing and get a good whiff. I almost passed out and my lungs burned for fifteen minutes.

I had never encountered that particular odor and sensation, but since then, even the slightest hint of it and I remember. It's CO2.

One positive thing is that I never have try about a fire starting from the wiring inside my ferm chamber.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back