When to switch from blowoff to airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigwafsus

Reaction score
My first ever batch is currently fermenting, the kit I got says switch from a blowoff tube to the airlock after a few days and active fermentation has stopped. Its been almost two days and fermentation has slowed a lot. Probably getting a bubble out of the tube every 10 seconds or so. Should I put the airlock on today or wait until there is less active fermentation?

Also, I got a problem with the height of the carboy and airlock fitting in the cabinet I have it in, can I just use a tube to lower the airlock so it fits?

You can just leave it with the blowoff attached, especially if there's a space issue. There's really no difference. A blowoff rig is just a giant airlock.
FWIW I only take mine off if I've got another brew to start.

The blow off tube just prevents the bung and airlock from blowing off. As long as active fermentation has slowed and the krausen has subsided your good to go with the airlock. If you're having problems with it fittin in your space you can just continue to use a blowoff tube if that fits in your space. Wouldn't Hirt to change your bucket of sanitizer and maybe a new clean tube though.

You can just leave it with the blowoff attached, especially if there's a space issue. There's really no difference. A blowoff rig is just a giant airlock.
FWIW I only take mine off if I've got another brew to start.

Same here.
I use a temp controlled fridge in the garage, and prefer the blowoff so I can hear the blub...blub...blub... Through the door.

Thanks for the help. Just replaced the sanitizer bowl, was going to replace the tube also but got the wrong size from hardware store. :smack:

Back