When to rack to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aanstadt

Reaction score
I am brewing a 5 gallon malt extract whiskey barrel stout. I brewed this yesterday and it's in the primary fermenter now (6.5 gallon bucket) the original gravity read at 1.063. The recipe calls for adding the whiskey barrel oak chips when racking to the secondary.

1. When is the right time to rack to the secondary? Ive read once the gravity has dropped 75%. When I brewed my last beer I followed that same rule which took about 6 days. I was told I racked to the secondary to soon. Please help.

2. Would you recommend not racking to a secondary and just pitch the oak chips directly to the primary? And would you sanitize the oak chips?

3. Would you recommend soaking the oak chips in whiskey prior to pitching to really add that flavor as long as the chips are dried before pitching?

4. When would you suspect the beer be finished? 5-6 weeks?

Your advice is appreciated!

Cheers!

Signed,
Rookie home brewer

I prefer not to rack to secondary at all, I would just add them to primary. Wait until fermentation is complete before racking to secondary or adding the chips to the primary. I would soak them in bourbon, which will sanitize them and add some flavor at the same time. Let them sit in the bourbon for at least a few days (a week or more would be better) and drain off the bourbon before adding the chips.

Taste the beer every couple days after adding the chips and when you get the desired level of oak flavor that's when it will be done. Chips tend to add flavor quicker than cubes or being in a barrel will so it's important to keep checking on it.

So once the fermentation is 100% complete then rack to secondary add the chips, then from there let the beer sit on the chips for however long it takes till I reach my desiered taste?

Don't do it in primary & DO NOT toss the bourbon after soaking the chips. The liquid soaks out the oak flavor while ther chips replace that with the bourbon. Just use like 4oz chips to maybe 3 jiggers of bourbon in an airtight container in the fridge till primary is done. Then pour the whole thing,bourbon,chips & all through a sanitized hop sack into secondary. Tie off the sack & drop it in. Mine was pretty strong at 8 days. I did it in secondary to keep the yeast cake from soaking it up.

TopherM said:
LOL....this exchange cracked me up:

Some people just don't want to go primary only. I offer my position and if they don't want to do it I don't really push it.

unionrdr said:
Don't do it in primary & DO NOT toss the bourbon after soaking the chips. The liquid soaks out the oak flavor while ther chips replace that with the bourbon. Just use like 4oz chips to maybe 3 jiggers of bourbon in an airtight container in the fridge till primary is done. Then pour the whole thing,bourbon,chips & all through a sanitized hop sack into secondary. Tie off the sack & drop it in. Mine was pretty strong at 8 days. I did it in secondary to keep the yeast cake from soaking it up.

Tossing the liquid in will give more bourbon flavor than oak. If that's the idea, then it's a good plan. A quick soak in bourbon (one week or less) isn't going to leach much of the oak flavor out of the chips. Any particular reason not to do it in primary?

Have you ever soaked oak chips/chunks in water before tossin them on the hot coals in your bbq? The liquid soaks the oak resins out of the wood if left too long. Same thing here,I could taste/smell it. I just don't like the yeast cake interacting with the chips. Since they're already soaked,they sink to the bottom. It's funny how I noticed the oak soaks up the bourbon,replacing the oak resins that get soaked out.

unionrdr said:

This was the most helpful response. Thank you! Once fermentation is complete in a few weeks, I'll follow your steps above and add it all to the secondary! I appreciate your advice.

Back