When to Bottle a Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
This coming Saturday, it will be 2 weeks since I started a Hefeweizen and 3 weeks since I started a Stout. Both are from extract (with specialty grains) and have been left in their primary buckets. These are the first two beers I've made.

I planned on bottling the Stout this weekend, having been told that 3 weeks is a reasonable time in the fermenter.

I've also heard/read that 2 weeks is reasonable for a Hefeweizen.

I plan to let both sit for 3 weeks after priming and bottling.

Should I bottle the Hefeweizen this weekend (at the 2 week mark) or wait another week?

Bottling should be determined by the completion of fermentation. Have you taken gravity readings? You want the same value for two readings with 3 days in between each sample. If you have not confirmed that fermentation is complete you run the risk of creating bottle bombs.

As a side note, I leave all my beers in the fermenter for at least 4 weeks; this allows the yeast to clean up the beer.

Use your hydrometer to tell you when fermentation is done. I have had beer take two weeks to stabilize, and some take up to 4 weeks. You can't rush the process unless you don't mind risking bottle bombs. Let the yeast tell you when they are done. Use your hydrometer !

NRS

+1 on the hydrometer. It gives you peace of mind, at least it does for me. That said, the reason I chimed in is because my latest hefeweizen was brewed on 4/30, bottled 5/14, and we started drinking it on 5/29. It's really tasty! I wouldn't change a thing, and I'm brewing it again in a couple days.

+2 on the hydro becasue your fermnetation temps will have an effect as well. Depending on the yeast and the temps my stouts came out a little different and the time took longer to get the final gravity.

Patience and Hydro readings is where it's at. The Hefe is probably good to bottle, but an extra week or two isn't going to hurt. I would be much more patient with that stout. Once it's in the bottles, let those puppies sit for a couple of months before drinking. I'll be bottling my Hefe tonight. Brewed it 4 weeks ago.

I have a heff in secondary now i usually leave mine in primary for a week then to secondary for three weeks then bottle and leave for two to three weeks. However you can do solid primary for a whole month then bottle and let sit for two to three weeks. all that really matters is that your beer is done fermenting completely otherwise u r facing bottle bombs.

Hi there,

I'm letting my stabilize in the primary for a total of 3-4 weeks before racking into a container where I'll add the sugar and then bottle.

How much yeast should I take from the bottom of the primary vessel in order to give the beer its signature cloudiness?

Back