When is the best time to add spice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson_NJ

Reaction score
After aging? Before aging? How long? I have my first mead in a secondary and am trying to decide what's the best way to add some spice. Any help is appreciated.

Obviously I am different from the original poster but I have a similar question. Soon I'll be starting an apple wine. I want to add a couple Cinnamon sticks to make it a "warming" drink for out in the woods.its for a 6 gallon batch.

Add to secondary.

For mead, if it's dry spices, grind or crush into fermenter and rack on top. If it's something fresh like spicy peppers or something harsh like so many dried herbs, OVERdoing it in Primary may help it gas off the sharp edges before racking to secondary.

And specifically for cinnamon in apple wine I like to grind/crush it fresh into secondary, and rack on top to stir it up with as little "goop" from the primary as possible.

Try to use "Ceylon" cinnamon if you can. Or drink it fast. Cassia cinnamon is good - really good- for a very short time, then loses it's character and just tastes like old potpourri soap smells (not good!).

I like a bit of clove (like 1 crushed) and a LOT of ginger if you're doing a "fall" or "Pumpkin" cider/apfelwein. Store bought ground cinnamon isn't enough to get that full "Fall" flavor.

Taste every few days to see where the spice level is and rack when it's a little too strong. It will fade in the bottle.

Adding spice to secondary will usually give you better results than adding to primary. You can use less spice & get more flavor, and a true-er flavor. Avoid using powdered spice (especially ground cinnamon) as it will usually make a mess & cannot be removed without filtration. Use stick cinnamon. Other spices like nutmeg can be cracked, sliced or roughly chopped while spices like cloves or caraway seed can be added whole.

If you like, you can contain most spices in a hop sack for easy removal later. You can weigh it down with a couple sanitized marbles so it's all in contact with the must. You can even tie a string to the sack & use the bung to secure it, just remove the bung & lift the sck out with the string when the mead has reached the spice flavor profile you want.
Regards, GF.

I like your hop sack idea. When would you suggest I add the spice to the secondary? Before bottling?

I've added clove in my primary (I was afraid of overpowering in the secondary) about to add cinnamon stick in secondary

I would caution AGAINST grinding or crushing spices. Too much and the drink will be ruined. I'd much rather add not enough whole spices and then have to add more later.

Any additions that are fermentable definitely agree with adding to secondary to preserve flavour. For non-fermentable spices, it can be a different story. I know with mead there's generally no boil to add to, but for beer, cinnamon in the last 5 mins of the boil works a lot better than cinnamon in secondary. I am brewing a bochet this weekend which I will add cinnamon to during boil. However, the vanilla won't go in until after primary fermentation's complete

non sarcastic answer - depends on the spice, if its a well established traditional brewing spice like coriander grains of paradise, or something you can probably get a flameout addition with a reasonable amount without it being overpowering.

But for anything potent or off-the-wall, id add it into the fermentor a bit at a time. Or you could use a tincture. This should keep mroe of the spice character in the final beer and you can control over how strong it gets

Latest posts

Back