When/how to add sugar...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harriw

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I brought home my cider in gallon jugs last year, but had to settle for UV-treated juice as a result. For this year, I've found a local cider mill that's willing to just fill my carboy directly from their press (straight juice, no treatment). Going this route though, I'm not sure whether it'd be easier to add my 2 lbs. brown sugar before I bring them my carboy, or after I get it home, filled? Anyone have any suggestions? This is a 6-gallon carboy so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to shake things up to mix in the juice, but I'm also afraid if I add the sugar afterwards, I many not have enough room in the carboy. Suppose I could always siphon some out of course.

While I'm on the subject, are there any secret tricks to putting brown sugar into a carboy? It plugs up a funnel pretty quickly, but tends to make a sticky mess if I try to add it without a funnel. Just wondering if anyone out there has come up with a better solution.

What about just filling the carboy, then siphoning some out to dissolve sugar into, then dumping it all back in with funnel?

Thanks for any and all input!

-Bill

Personally, I say go and have them fill up your carboy to the tippy top. Then when you get home, siphon off some to drink while you work. Also with with brown sugar, I think it is easier to dissolve it before adding it to the carboy. So take another little bit out and put it in a sauce pan and heat it, do not boil it though, and add your brown sugar. When it cools off, around 80' or you can add it back in with your yeast or stater.

I agree with filling up the carboys to the top so you have some to drink on later

I just pour it straight in. Use a wide funnel and dont let the funnel touch the cider.

If you are using a better bottle, you can just add the sugar, cram a #10 rubber bung in the top and roll the carboy on the floor until it dissolves. Usually takes about 10 min and very little effort, and its easy to do 3 or 4 carboys at a time. I dont think I would try this with glass though because the bungs dont fit as tight

Back