What's your profession?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had one career and two follow on jobs.

Twenty six years USN - Retired

Field Engineer for P5 Tactical Combat Training Systems (I'm not a real engineer-fancy job title)

DOD contractor

I own and run Agtronic Motorsport which is a high performance welding and fabrication shop in Canada. I basically build race cars and race car parts. I do all the CAD, welding and fabrication at the shop.

Before that I did photography and web design. So of course I do all the photography and design for this shop.

www.agtronicmotorsport.com if you want to see some of the work.

And a thread with lots of pics: http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?679820-Latest-Fabrication!-LOTS-of-pics!

Sorry if I sound ignorant.. I am. ;) What is waste coal? Isn't all coal good coal?

Waste coal (waste anthracite=culm, waste bituminous=gob) is coal that isn't good enough quality to sell as coal for industry or home use. Anthracite is about 12,000 BTU/pound. We burn waste anthracite that's about half that in specialized boilers. I'm not a miner, but I believe its mostly found surrounding seams or veins of good quality coal and whatever is left over from the processing plants. In the past it was just set aside in piles or used as fill material.

That's pretty interesting Piney. I would have to guess most of the population (in cold regions) don't care how their heat comes to them and as long as they keep warm in the cold months.

What do you think about solar and alternative energy as a heat source? Believe me, I'm not judging, just wondering about alternatives. Coal and oil will run out someday.

i'm a steamfitter by birth and a sex symbol by trade. unfortunately it's also the symbol for argon...

That's pretty interesting Piney. I would have to guess most of the population (in cold regions) don't care how their heat comes to them and as long as they keep warm in the cold months.

What do you think about solar and alternative energy as a heat source? Believe me, I'm not judging, just wondering about alternatives. Coal and oil will run out someday.

The plant I work at is small in fossil or nuclear plant terms, we produce 90mw, and send 80 to the grid. There is an 80mw solar park in Canada that has like a million panels spread out over 950 acres. The most output from a wind turbine is I think about 4mw, so you'd need room for 20 windmills and a constant breeze to equal our small output. I think all the alternative energy sources have their place and help reduce fossil fuel use, but as far as bulk generation goes, making steam and spinning a turbogenerator is the most effiecient way to generate a reliable supply of electricity. Burning natural gas in a combustion turbine and using the exhaust to generate steam sent to another turbing (HRSG) is, I believe, the cheapest way to do it at the moment due to low fuel costs.

I'm a meteorologist and owner of a meteorological consultancy. I provide decision support to businesses with long-lead forecasts and business intelligence. I have clients that range from large to small; Professional sports teams, utilities, aviation, snow movers, agriculture, etc.

It also means I can forecast when it will be a good day to brew outside :)

Selection consultant for a talent management firm. PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. I think I am the only person in this thread with a background in psychology.

Great Thread! What a wonderful blend of backgrounds. Like barley, hops, yeast, and water- divergent paths coalesce into magic.

Myself, a lawyer (Case Western JD) buisness / psychology undergrad (New England College) turned Tavernkeep.

My 10bbl brewery opens this summer!

I'm a meteorologist and owner of a meteorological consultancy. I provide decision support to businesses with long-lead forecasts and business intelligence. I have clients that range from large to small; Professional sports teams, utilities, aviation, snow movers, agriculture, etc.

You're in a good spot to chart the weather. OP had some amazing weather while I lived there!

Retired after 32 years as a football/basketball coach and social studies teacher.

Wow. Am I the only heavy equipment operator here?? 20 years in and counting. The last 7 for the government. Also, weekend crew chief on a blown alcohol AA gasser.

And the best part! You can be wrong most of the time and keep your job!
Sorry for the poking fun. Some weather systems can be a little more touch and go than others. Plus the local news always wants to keep everyone watching the commercials a little too much.

Wow. Am I the only heavy equipment operator here?? 20 years in and counting. The last 7 for the government. Also, weekend crew chief on a blown alcohol AA gasser.

I have an excavator and a small D-6G dozer that I play with on weekends. Does that count? My family farms and we have a river that runs through much of our land, so we build dikes and tile when the weather and crops allow.

I'm in landscaping / population control

Dinfos, ft Meade Maryland
i just joined the DINFOS team, as an instructor for PAD

Im in Jeep aftermarket parts sales
Quadratec? Trade beer for parts? ;)

I'm a Brewer at Smuttynose Brewing Co. Just started a couple of weeks ago.
You guys make some really great stuff up there. I can't remember the name of the brew, but Smuttynose donated a ton of beer to the airshow a couple years ago, and the liquid gold with a mermaid on it made me forget the cold. or the heat. i can't remember, but it was good stuff.

I've had one career and two follow on jobs.

Twenty six years USN - Retired

Another Old Goat?

I'm a photographer and used to your with bands and am also a pharmacy tech.

Chemistry student.

FWIW, my fiancee/brew partner (heh) has her B.A. in Film/TV from the Savannah College of Art/Design.

spazjdm said:
Active duty Coast Guard.

Im prior service Coast Guard. I was stationed on the CGC Vigilant, CGC Buttonwood, TACLET SOUTH (LEDET 403), and Sector San Diego. How bout you?

Latest posts

Back