What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looking at correlation between brewing process and engineering regimen. People who like process control and technical side of brewing have engineer tendencies or are engineers.

Or have other highly technical jobs that require and OCD level of "checklist" mentality. I could throw in Doctors, Pilots, software development, etc, etc.

Engineers do not corner the market on process development or control. They just get a degree that says they do...

Controls engineer, working on electric vehicle research.

PhD in mech. eng., University of Wisconsin, 2011

I agree, there's plenty of jobs that require process development and critical thinking besides engineering. My job doesn't require much traditional engineering type thinking, for the most part. Just mostly math and physics. I'll admit that I like tinkering with the brewery more than I like the actual brewing process though.

Mechanical Engineer here. Yeah I'd say roughly half of all brewers I know are engineers. But not the other way around...

I'm a Cabinet Maker, and if you want to keep coming home with all 10 fingers, you learn to pay close attention to details.

Whoa. 40% of the people who answered the survey are engineers? That's insane.

I'm not an engineer, although I do a lot of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, aviation, and bio-engineering/pharmaceutical technical translations and technical writing.

Biologist - environmental scientist (aka almost engineer who helps the engineers with mechanical reality)....I love that I'm not one of "them" yet they come to me for help.....they teach math and theory but must be light on logic, troubleshooting, and mechanical/electrical basics

Biology is the only science that is the sum of all other natural sciences +

If you want a spiritual debate explain the unmoved mover ( every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction... But, what about the first action ?)

Seriously? Bringing Aristotelian monotheistic philosophy/theology into an engineer/non-engineer occupation thread? (In relation to brewing nonetheless!)

Just so ya know, the moderators and administrators on this forum frown on that kind of stuff (and not just because it's grossly off-topic and inflammatory).

Correct; out of line and post edited...lots of big words - and a bit of your own spin - there :).

Started college with every intention of becoming an ECE. Then I realized, I hate math.

So I became an attorney, instead.

Did it backwards, Navy Submariner Sonarman, became a controls engineer then got my BSEE and now brew and work at a home brew store doing what I really love.

Farm kid, studied meat and animal science in college (while working mornings before class in the university meat lab) with plans to either take over the family farm or open a custom butcher shop. Fast forward 14 years later, working as a business analyst for a top meat company.

Did it backwards, Navy Submariner Sonarman, became a controls engineer then got my BSEE and now brew and work at a home brew store doing what I really love.

Where we you stationed? I was a Nuc ELT on a fast attack out of Groton,CT. Discharged in 6/2003.

I'm a Nurse I work in Gastrointestinal.

Aerospace Engineer, but never worked in the field. (Graduated during the Reagan defense cuts) Instead became a CFII and taught people to fly upside down for a few years. Now am a network administrator.

Licensed Plumber, one back injury too many so now I am a Plumbing Estimator.

Where we you stationed? I was a Nuc ELT on a fast attack out of Groton,CT. Discharged in 6/2003.

I'm a Nurse I work in Gastrointestinal.

Did BESS in Groton in 95, plankowner on SSN773 in NNNSY and then to Pearl from 98-00, Did 5 years.

I sell Radioactivity for a living. I'd love to have a really rich boyfriend that pays all my bills and lets me pursue my brewing and culinary hobbies... So yeah - I'm a salesperson.

I sell Radioactivity for a living. I'd love to have a really rich boyfriend that pays all my bills and lets me pursue my brewing and culinary hobbies... So yeah - I'm a salesperson.

I got lucky and married when I was 36. We both worked at the same power plant. I did 10 years on the road 100% travel, made my money, now I have a sugar mama.

Chemistry grad student, for now. I actually started out as a chemical engineering major, but switched when I found out how little chemistry we were actually doing. It just bored me to tears.

Electrical engineer with much experience in automation machinery. Spent the last couple years working on projects related to getting shampoo, conditioner and lotions into bottles for one of the largest manufacturers of said products in the world.

Back