What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mechanical engineer. Just got my PE a few months ago!

congrats! I passed the FE while in school but have not worked under a "PE" yet so it looks like I wont be getting it for a LONG time....

Is it transferable to different states or if you move will you have to start over?

Civil/structural engineer. PE is transferable just pay the fee for that state. CA might be different though.

Pretty hilarious results. Looks like the OP was right on with the Engineer theory. I'm a database administrator with an MBA and pretty decent problem solving skills. Oh, and I'm the son and brother of engineers. :D Like to work with my hands (woodworking).

Mechanic
I would love to be an engineer if I could afford to quit my job and go back to school.

I am an engineer but I don't think my interest in home brewing is really related, to be honest. Anybody else in that boat?

Hard to believe. Are there really that many trains or do you guys just get to stand around on the trains because of the unions?

horseinmay said:
As a civil engineer with a water company, I second this emotion.

I got my PE while at my current job working for the state highway dept. and I've never even bothered to buy a stamp. I don't make plans, for one, and there's always someone over me to make the big calls.

EE, ME, now wrapping up a Planetary Sciences degree. Cabinet and custom furniture maker.

I'm a mechanic and i sometimes think engineers get their jollys off designing thing to make my life miserable. LOL

X2

Ive had conference calls with engineers
-why would you ever need to take that apart.
-the bearings are shot in the blower wheel.
-those should never go bad..its not in the design.

PLEASE remember what comes apart easily in the lab is a PITA wile battling snow and rain and extreme temp.

side note...my father was an engineer so I grew up in the lifestyle. I just never had the math skills to become one.

we've got this old guy at my work that build & maintains the jigs & fixtures we use to build our parts. he has to deal with the engineers on a regular basis. they always tell him, "It works on paper!" to which he replies, "Then make it out of paper because it's not working with steel."

we've got this old guy at my work that build & maintains the jigs & fixtures we use to build our parts. he has to deal with the engineers on a regular basis. they always tell him, "It works on paper!" to which he replies, "Then make it out of paper because it's not working with steel."

This, of course is the problem with "Engineers" as this rugby song demonstrates.

It's NSFE (Not suitable for engineers) or anyone that is easily offended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKK-R7hfcQI&feature=youtu.be

X2

Originally Posted by ChefRex
I'm a mechanic and i sometimes think engineers get their jollys off designing things to make my life miserable. LOL

Ive had conference calls with engineers
-why would you ever need to take that apart.
-the bearings are shot in the blower wheel.
-those should never go bad..its not in the design.

PLEASE remember what comes apart easily in the lab is a PITA wile battling snow and rain and extreme temp.

side note...my father was an engineer so I grew up in the lifestyle. I just never had the math skills to become one.

I design things that go to other planets, can you imagine working on that? lol

And yes, yes I have to say everyone I know enjoys calling for a bolt that is 32mm long and goes on fine when the part is not installed, but after it only has 30mm of removal clearance. Hey, what can I say, we are taught to do this!

I'm a mechanic and i sometimes think engineers get their jollys off designing thing to make my life miserable. LOL

QUOTE=kevinb;5421522]I'm a mechanical engineer. you caught me ;)[/QUOTE]

It takes a big man to admit he is wrong.
Forgot to mention i am the son of an engineer.

-TH- said:
I have this feeling that a large percentage of homebrewers are engineers. I was just wondering how large.

'92 BSME from Mich Tech U.

What the hell does driving a train have to do with making Homebrew? ;{>

Molecular Biology BS UNM 95

Non-engineer, but did go to PSU for a few years in the aerospace engineering program before running out of $$$ and joining the Army.

I am in Aviation Maintenance QC though, and regularly have to submit equipment improvement designs to the engineers.

Environmental/civil engineer here. PE advice: get it then try to never ever stamp anything!

Too funny! I got my Civil PE about 13 years ago and have never stamped a single thing other than scratch paper to make sure my stamp still works.

Of course, now that I work in quantitative finance, the chances of me stamping anything are very remote. But there is that floodplain that is incorrectly delineated in my backyard that I could try to get changed...

Former electrical engineer. Then I went to the dark side and got my law degree, so I could work in patent law. I still get to use my engineering skills, though I'm spending less time doing patent prosecution these days, and more time with litigation.

Back