What's your Favorite Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Not talking about Cameron Diaz or Gwen Stefani (Definitely Gwen!) but instead I'm wondering about a Blonde Ale. I'm looking at blueberry, blackberry, apricot, and strawberry and wondered what worked for everybody else.

And any tips like canned, fresh/frozen, or extract and primary/secondary would be helpful too.

Right now I'm thinking about adding frozen mixed berries to primary, and then maybe a can of that Oregon blueberry stuff at secondary. Too much? Too crazy?

And now I'm leaning towards Marilyn Monroe over Stefani :p

My favorite blonde has always been the BJCP 18A version. No fruit. Heather Graham.

Yeah this batch is split into two 5.5 gallon batches and the one will be a dry-hopped blonde straight up and no fruit. But I thought it'd be fun to play with fruit for my first time. I don't want it to be a novelty not worthy of remaining in my beer rotation, but also not too fruity and overbearing like some kind of Mike's Hard Fruit Something.

And Graham is a nice call. Sweet, spicy, and she's got a good head too! Ok, Graham over Monroe!

Gotta love boogie nights. I am contemplating a fruited blonde soon. I have to say it will probably be strawberry as, well, strawberries are in season now and i can imagine it will go down very well on a muggy August evening.

Loved "V" this season, and Laura Vandervoort has been doing it for me!

Yes, and Vandervoort just sounds sexy! I'm drinking an Abita Strawberry Lager right now, and although it's ok I just think I want something......better. But I don't want to put too much in it. So, for now I'm still thinking 1 bag of frozen berries in primary and one big can of blueberry puree in secondary.

And I just remembered Maria Sharapova. If she was playing on tv, there was no way I could turn the channel!

Blueberry worked for me wonderfully last summer...

How blueberryish did it turn out for you? And also I'm wondering about my hops additions. I added 1 oz each of centennial and cascade because I didn't know exactly what I was going to do with it. But it was for a 10 gallon batch.

Wow, Blackberry Blonde sounds tasty! Anyone have a good recipe? Amanda Seyfried is the best non-beer blonde by a long shot (not counting SWMBO of course ;))

How blueberryish did it turn out for you? And also I'm wondering about my hops additions. I added 1 oz each of centennial and cascade because I didn't know exactly what I was going to do with it. But it was for a 10 gallon batch.

Just enough. You could discern the flavor, but it wasn't overpowering. I also just realized that I did add about 1.5 ounces of blueberry extract at kegging just to get the taste exactly where I wanted it. Forgot to put that on my recipe page. And it was purple!

SDC12402.jpg

SDC12792.jpg

SDC12005.jpg

I had some Sorachi Ace hops that I won that I wanted to use up.

I started with BM's Centennial Blonde and switched the Cascades out with the SA. Since I have read that they add a lemon flavor, I added a pound of Honey to the recipe.

Pitched it last night. I'll let you know how 'My Blonde Honey' comes out.

Best blonde I ever had was from Mad River in CA. It wasn't fruity -- just blonde. It isn't listed here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/266 , but that's the brewer.

And SWMBO... b/c if she wasn't my favorite, she wouldn't be SWMBO!

amy_justin.jpg

(We're drinking BL in the pic b/c bars frown on you bringing your own brew, generally.)

LD Carlson makes a ton of flavors... I used their blueberry.

Where do you find LD Carlson, went to grocery store and couldn't find it. Found raspberry and lemon and such, but no Blueberry.....I'm going to go ahead and dump the frozen berries in primary now, and plan on dumping canned blueberries in secondary in a few days but I still want that extract if it helps!

Hey all,

Next week I'm brewing the AG centennial blonde in the recipes section here, and am thinking of using the big can of oregon blueberry puree that I have sitting in the cupboard for it. The only question I have is this:

Last year I did a cherry wheat ale, and added 2oz of cherry extract at bottling time. Now, the bottles are WAY overcarb'd because I did the typical amount of priming sugar and didn't think to lessen that to compensate for the cherry extract. I actually have to pop one open over the sink (which 50% of the beer, in 22oz bottles, escapes through the non-stop fizzing), and leave it in the fridge for about 6-10 hours before it's actually drinkable. I don't want this to happen again. So, should I cut out the blueberry extract entirely if I do a blueberry blonde? Or should I rack on the oregon puree in secondary, then use 1.5oz of extract at bottling time, and cut down some of the priming sugar?

Thanks in advance. I just want a perfectly carb'd fruit beer...not like my last attempt.

Not sure man. I'm overdue on adding my blueberry puree, but since I haven't found blueberry extract I didn't plan on adding it. I was hoping that the pound of frozen mixed berries and now 2 small cans of Oregon blueberries would add enough berry flavor. Maybe somebody else could weigh in here......

Where do you find LD Carlson, went to grocery store and couldn't find it. Found raspberry and lemon and such, but no Blueberry.....I'm going to go ahead and dump the frozen berries in primary now, and plan on dumping canned blueberries in secondary in a few days but I still want that extract if it helps!

LD Carlson is found hopefully at your LHBS. Or check one of the brew stores online. That's not a grocery store item.

I have a mixed berry going right now. Mostly strawberries but a few raspberries and blue berries mixed in because I had it on hand. Another 7 days and it goes in to clearing then bottling. And I have watched Laura Vandervoort since I saw her on Smallville.

Canadian blonde is my favorite. And Denise Bell. Just google her and you will know what I mean. :)

Dry Dock's Apricot Blonde is awesome. It involves a can of Oregon Apricot Puree, and then a little bottle of apricot flavoring at bottling. Delicious.

Here is a list of Belgian Blonds I posted @nother forum

Saxo--Wallonian blond ale
Troubadour Blond Ale
Bink Blond --hoppy character is the perfect thirst-quencher
Malheur 6°
Witkap Pater Singel / Stimulo
Maredsous 6 - Blonde
La Trappe Blond
Straffe Hendrik Blonde
Abbaye De Floreffe Blonde

Listed in rank - best to worst

Saxo--Wallonian blond ale
Troubadour Blond Ale
Bink Blond --hoppy character is the perfect thirst-quencher
Malheur 6°
Witkap Pater Singel / Stimulo
Maredsous 6 - Blonde
La Trappe Blond
Straffe Hendrik Blonde
Abbaye De Floreffe Blonde

Listed in rank - best to worst

I don't believe I've had any of these blondes yet! Damn, I think this homebrewing hobby is getting in the way of my beerdrinking hobby! :D

I'm planning a blueberry blonde to be the sister of my raspberry wheat that I am drinking now. I think I might craft it myself based on simplifying other blonde recipes and using available hops. I'm thinking:
7lbs American 2 row
1lb Crystal 10-40 range
.25oz northern brewer for 60min
1oz fuggles for 30 mins
1/2oz fuggles for 15mins
wyeast 1056 american ale
3 lbs fresh bluesberries, frozen, then pasteurized and perhaps mashed a bit in the secondary for a solid month.

3 lbs fresh bluesberries, frozen, then pasteurized and perhaps mashed a bit in the secondary for a solid month.

Sounds pretty good to me. I ended up using 1 lb frozen mixed berries and 2 small cans of Oregon Blueberries. Last time I had one it had been bottled 2 weeks and still needed a little "time". Not bad though. Definitely not overpowering

its official. I am going with the above formulation for a blueberry blonde. hopefully it will be my favorite. I did a blonde from BYO that was pretty good, maybe 4/5 stars.

bree-olsen2.jpg

Sweet Statutory! If that brew ends up half as tasty as that pic, you'll be a happy man! Good luck and cheers!

Bree Olsen born on date 10/07/1986. I am sure she likes the banana ester that comes with styles brewed that long. hehehe. hehe. heh.

Just recieved my grain shipment! Time for a new thread for me, soon.

Back